Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of starting my sump/fuge before my DT (550g) allowing me to time to cycle it and have a more mature DSB and rubble fuge ready for when the DT goes up. My plans for my fuge consist of separate tanks for Rubble, DSB, Sump, and later plans to add cryptic and ATS. Photo below (from Simon Garret's design) shows the design I'm seriously considering.

So far I'm thinking of seeding the rubble and DSB with:

(1) 12lb fuji mud refugium starter
(10) lbs caribsea oceans-direct oolite
(10) lbs caribsea argonite reef sand
(2) rock crud from premiumaquatics
(2) aquacultured sand from premiumaquatics
(1) 10g package live rock/sand from gulfview

and a final ~5lbs with samplings of live sand from LFS and reefers to give diversity.
I will probably need additional live rock rubble which I'll acquire at a later date, maybe part of the DT setup purchase. Either way it'll be from a different sources.

from what I've read on DSB and live rock - diversity, diversity, diversity.

or perhaps I'm overthinking it?

I will need to feed the fugues until the DT comes online and mutures.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
1) 12lb fuji mud refugium starter-- skips this
and a final ~5lbs with samplings of live sand from LFS and reefers to give diversity- don't do this ya dont know if they have pest or other issue's
honestly if you are planning to do this what size sump will you be using and how big of a area for the fuge ? will make better reccommendation after words, also what skimmer are you going to be using

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump%20and%20seagrass%20sm1.jpg

This is the design from Simon Garret here on MR.

at very top is cryptic, then rubble, dsb, ATS.

large white pipe is the supply from overflow. There is also a sump which is not shown.

I am ultimately planning a total fuge/sump around 200g. Cryptic, DSB, ATS will be 40g each. Rubble would be about 20g 36x17x10.

Skimmer:
no clue - recommendations? Deltec or bubble king seem ideal however OMG $$$$. Octopus? perhaps none at all?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no prior experience. This is my first SW tank. I had a 10g fresh when I was a kid.

Its going to be a large learning curve. I, hoping to shorten with help from local reefers and Ive contacted an aquarium service provider to assist/train/clean/etc as needed.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
You came to a great place for info. Im guessing you have a large area or fish room. I would skip taking sand from other people, pest free is best way to start. You will develop your own diversity in time for sure. Any pics of your tank?equipment list? From initial few posts seems like a big build! Good luck with it

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no prior experience. This is my first SW tank. I had a 10g fresh when I was a kid.

Its going to be a large learning curve. I, hoping to shorten with help from local reefers and Ive contacted an aquarium service provider to assist/train/clean/etc as needed.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Quick thoughts on equip. List and many others will have thoughts too

You may be able to get a used skimmer of great quality to suit your needs. Reef octo makes good bang for you buck skimmers IMO if a higher end one doesn't happen like you have listed.
Wondering what you plan on keeping?4 ai wouldn't be enough if go reef. Maybe check out fathom, they have lit up large tanks before on this forum and are said to have great custom service from those who have used them. Just a thought....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still researching LED lights. Ive been looking at AI SOL, Radion 30wPro, Ecoxotic cannon, Orphek Atlantik, Kessil A360N, and doing reading on DIY however Id rahter not due to time and inexperience (I wont know if Ive done a poor, good, or great job).

Ive discounted the AI Vegas and regular radions.

I so-so looking for used skimmers however Im not familiar with all the models so it is still hard to determine if it is appropriate or a value.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALBINO - very true. I have not heard of many other tanks as deep. I have contacted Kessil, Orphek, AI, and ecoxotic for their recommendations. I have not heard too much good about Orphek. Kessil appears to be viewed as lower quality. AI and Radion each have followers however they are also viewed as well-marketed products with so-so value.

None of these are my opinions just what I have gathered from reading.

If I had to lean in a direction I am leaning towards Radion/SOL/Ecoxotic. Ecoxotic appears to have more of a following for deeper tanks.

Unfortunately there are not many with DEEP tanks and of those even fewer who use LED. Compounded by the fact that there are few reviews of the newer LED products from all of these manufacturers.

Uggh...so quest for knowledge continues

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I don't know what you paid for the tank, but I think you might want to reconsider ... IMO/E, anything over 24-27" is very hard to clean, aquascape, place corals in, etc!
Once that tank is set up, it will not be easy to replace, when you realize how hard it is to maintain. Many people 'give up' on the hobby if it becomes too much work, and if you can't easily clean it, it will quickly become an 'eyesore'.
Getting another tank now, might be cheaper in the long run!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a preference (at least for now) and with the tnak purchased I really dont want to cut it shorter. If it becomes an issue I'll have to resort to buying a new starphire and I do own a hammer....lol seriously though I have thought of this and am aware its going to present some PITA issues.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I don't know what you paid for the tank, but I think you might want to reconsider ... IMO/E, anything over 24-27" is very hard to clean, aquascape, place corals in, etc!
Once that tank is set up, it will not be easy to replace, when you realize how hard it is to maintain. Many people 'give up' on the hobby if it becomes too much work, and if you can't easily clean it, it will quickly become an 'eyesore'.
Getting another tank now, might be cheaper in the long run!

+1 my tank is 24" deep with euro brace, i'm 5' 8" and i can barely reach the bottom. i'm starting to get coralin on bottom of glass cause i can't clean it good.
people upgrade and down grade all the time, if it doesn't work out switch tanks. but like albano said, it will be a lot easier now. good luck

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
that size tank honestly only a couple skimmers i would use besides a beckett or downdraft, number one would be the reeflo orca pro,
and instead of running all those levels of sumps ect, i would just get a large sump and have the different area's, you can have a killer reef without all that stuff, few members here with larger tanks
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/84736-jims-300gal-upgrade.html

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/63397-hundreds-corals-fish-free.html

and for lighting if you do plan to stay with the 36" i would suggest 400w metal halides and not leds

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
that size tank honestly only a couple skimmers i would use besides a beckett or downdraft, number one would be the reeflo orca pro,
and instead of running all those levels of sumps ect, i would just get a large sump and have the different area's, you can have a killer reef without all that stuff, few members here with larger tanks
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/84736-jims-300gal-upgrade.html

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/63397-hundreds-corals-fish-free.html

and for lighting if you do plan to stay with the 36" i would suggest 400w metal halides and not leds

so much good advice ! listen to this man ~:approve:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: