NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
as long as the corals are placed midway and up shouldnt be a problem , i do believe greenwich aquaria rums 400w mh and their tank is about that deep, wish i still had photo's of the 1100g i use to take care of

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on running a 6" Dsb in the dt. That will bring it to 36" then take off another lets say 2" at the top for the overflow water level. That brings us to approx 34" of actual water depth. Farther than my arm can reach and will likely need a mask and snorkel at times.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I'm planning on running a 6" Dsb in the dt. That will bring it to 36" then take off another lets say 2" at the top for the overflow water level. That brings us to approx 34" of actual water depth

FWIW, the 'actual water depth' means nothing...even with NO water in the tank, the distance to the bottom (w/6" sandbed) is 36"

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0

Skimmer:
no clue - recommendations? Deltec or bubble king seem ideal however OMG $$$$. Octopus? perhaps none at all?

If you are thinking about a 550g reef and you are freaked out by the price of the skimmer, you are going to have some big (and crazy expensive) surprises ahead.

Hell, your heaters and pumps will probably cost that much in electricity every year or so. figure 2-3000watts just for the heaters and they run pretty much 24/7.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jrobbins - ohhh but yes the costs of setting up this unit are clear.... LOL I have been spec equipment that is as efficient as possible including an indirect hot water heater using my existing domestic Oil fired heater and a titanium coil in the sump. I'll be using DC motors where possible and hopefully LED lighting (may need to be a FOWLR until LED tech and prices become more inline). Im hoping for more like 1500-2000watts for the whole system.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
makes more sense to me to just do it all at once. the cycle will kill a lot of critters in your fuge anyway. also for a tank that size you would probably want to add a couple zeros to the lbs of sand you intend to use, otherwise it wont really do much for you.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: