Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a custom glass tank (not tempered) 84"x36"x42" 550g which i bought used however has never had water in it. The tank will be setup as a peninsula - viewable from 3 sides. the tank is currently drilled with (2) 1.5" and (2) 2.5" holes in the overflow box.

1) the overflow box has an acrylic cover with fingers and has a gap between the glass forming the overflow. Is this typical? Does this pose a problem? My concern is with stagnant water and detritus and other gunk building up in this void.

2) should I remove the overflow box entirely, plug the holes and opt for some other setup? If so, any recommendations?

I've seen where a few people (example: simon garret) have used a weir? - piece of glass tilted at a 45 along the whole width of the tank, then using 2-3 holes on above that glass but below the waterline. This allows a constant skimming stream gently flowing over the 45 glass edge and carried into the sump. Any thoughts on this?

img0323az.jpg

img0326ht.jpg

img0324je.jpg

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
looks to be a old glass cages tank, personally i wouldnt drill any other holes. either use that overflow or find a different tank, not like it is a small tank it's a huge tank that could suffer from the stress and extra holes, or worse case take that one off and use all four holes for drain and bring return over the topget a piece of acrylic and cut it to fit

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: