Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and the hobby. I am in the process of building a 60g cube, the install happens next week with help from a friend. I'm struggling with a good solution for water, both on the initial fill and for water changes. Has anyone been in the same situation and can offer any advice? Even a good product sub $150 that can hook up to the cold water line under the sink. You have to consider i dont have a car and live in the city so buying RO water from manhattan aquariums isnt really an option (at least for the initial fill). I will have space for about 3-4 5 gallon storage buckets.

Thank in advance!

asianer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Great question, following this thread...

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and the hobby. I am in the process of building a 60g cube, the install happens next week with help from a friend. I'm struggling with a good solution for water, both on the initial fill and for water changes. Has anyone been in the same situation and can offer any advice? Even a good product sub $150 that can hook up to the cold water line under the sink. You have to consider i dont have a car and live in the city so buying RO water from manhattan aquariums isnt really an option (at least for the initial fill). I will have space for about 3-4 5 gallon storage buckets.

Thank in advance!

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Welcome!

If space is a constraint, you can look at the Mighty Mite RODI by AIW found here: http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MMDI/Mighty-Mite-50GPD-with-DI-Added.html

However if you have the space, I would go with a full RODI unit. I have the 2x Ocean Wave 5 stages and they work so well. One unit I added a 2nd 75gpd membrane for more efficient and speedier water production, and a 2nd DI canister (dirty Jersey water :sigh:) so it's a bit more modular. And filters/membranes are readily available since sizing is more of the standard. With the Mighty Mite, buying from AIW may be your only option, can't be certain though as I don't own one.

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Thank in advance!

Same situation as you. I got a 5 stage RO/DI unit from BRS and will be hooking it up under my kitchen sink. As for the initial water, I plan on getting a large garbage bin or 2 from HD to mix the initial water with salt to fill the tank (75Gal plus sump) then plan on returning the garbage bins and getting a 20-30 gal container to keep RO/DI water on hand for water changes. plan to keep all under the kitchen sink.
not sure if this is what you were asking

lsi

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've been using the 5-stage plus system from BRS for 2 years now, and found it very convenient for apartment use. In my case, the unit sits on the kitchen counter because I use it all the time to make RO drinking water (I unplug the DI stage for that). I have a few regular 4 gallon plastic buckets from a hardware store that I use to mix the salt and to store topoff water. When not in use, I stack them and store in a closet. As far as NY water goes, it's very clean in terms of dissloved organics, but does contain a lot of silt, so you may want to change the pre-RO stages a bit. I personally use a 5 micron sediment filter, followed by a 1 micron sediment filter, and a 0.6 micron MATRIKX carbon block.

NYCEnglish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have a BRS 75GPD 5-stage. I have it connected to my plumbing under a bathroom sink. When in use I put the RODI bucket and the drain hose in my shower stall and open the ball valve. Works really well and when not in use you'd never know it was there.

timberwolfny

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
actually these are the best water storage containers I can find with out costing a lot price of a garbage pail but has a spigot to get water out easy

Attachments

• 20130427_103324.jpg
    20130427_103324.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 136

timberwolfny

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Rubbermaid greens keeper it is on the picture. you can get them at food service suppliers online I got mine through etundra. they are for making salads just don't buy the complete kit or you can just google FG2624L2WHT. They make a 22gal and a 32 gal version

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: