dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am a little bit over 48 hours into cycle.

Started noticing what i think is algae on my LR.

I know it wasnt there when i put the rock in tank, i inspected it before and after, and throughout the day

There were some travelers in the rock, I've seen a couple of little crabs roaming around, and at least 1 small worm digging around the sand.

Am i doing something wrong?

yesterday my parameters were

Ph 8.2 - 8.4
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
amonia 0.25

Right now my parameters
PH 8.2 - 8.4
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
amonia 0

I am not even sure if this is algae, but based on what i've researched, that's what it's pointing to.

If this is, what can I do to fix it while the tank cycles?

IMG 1
algae1.jpg

IMG 2
algae2.jpg

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Concentrate on the cycle. Algae is always there. If you are using cured rock then you need to add something (like a piece of shrimp) to generate ammonia. You need to see ammonia go up and back to zero. Same for nitrites. Then nitrates, but nitrates will likely not go back to zero.
Most worms are ok. As far as crabs go, decide if you want them or not. if not then pick them out as you see them.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Sounds like your rock came full of critters, probly algae as well. Keep light off during cycle- wont get rid of it. But in few week when your cycled you can add/ introduce a clean up crew to tank. That usually helps

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
RODI water from LFS. I tested it with my own tds meter, it was 0 on most readings... 001 on 2 or 3 readings.

I also have my own RODI from spectrapure which im setting up under the sink this weekend.

With the amount of research i've done, i know tap water is not an option..

I have not checked for Phosphate levels.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: