nycmarisol

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I had been itching for an anemone for my clowns and I finally got one this past Thursday. I did quite a bit of research and felt that this was a safe purchase for my coral reef. The only problem is that somehow in all of my reading, I did not learn that a white anemone= unhealthy.

I acclimated it with a 1 hr drip, turned the lights off, and as soon as I put her in, she began attaching to the spot and then moved a little until she finally settled in the back of my rock work (of course!).

She opens up pretty big (4-5in) when the lights are on and has been taking pieces of food (Rod's). Of course my clowns have not bothered to leave their mushroom forest, but that's another issue. In the meantime, does anyone have experience with this? What are her odds? I rather nurse her back to health than return her and risk her dying in the store or being purchased by someone who is not willing to put the time in, or maybe just doesn't know.

I will post a picture in a moment.

nycmarisol

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo4.jpg

BuGG

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
If the mouth is open, then it is sick. Maybe the best way to get it back in shape is to move it to a QT tank with plenty of light. You can also treat with medicine on the QT tank if necessary.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Make sure it can't get near your powerheads as a sick anemone will travel around your tank until it find s a comfortable spot - meaning flow and light that it prefers.

Don't try and move it once it settles in.

Don't moving your lighting, if it needs more it will climb up, if it needs less it will hide behind or under something.

What kind of lighting do you have?
What's the flow like in your DT?
Do you plan to keep feeding it Rod's foods, if so, how often?

As mentioned, you want to keep your water parameters as pristine as possible during this adjustment period.

If you do all of these things, you stand an excellent chance of having a healthy GBTA in the near future :)

nycmarisol

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are all so wonderful. Thank you for your time.

Bugg- The little guy is facing the back of the tank, but as far as I can tell, no open mouth, and unfortunately, due to space in my apt, no quarantine tank.

Reef and Jr Jackson- You are echoing what I have read about feeding it, though I came across a few people saying feeding them makes them "sick"? Which brings me to this: yesterday I got home from work and the nem was all shriveled up with brown stringy stuff coming out. I thought it was a goner. However, his foot was holding on nice and strong, so I googled and it seems that means the nem was "pooping".

Anyone have experience with this? Shortly after, it started plumping up again, and today it's big and flowy again. I can almost see a pink/green hue beneath the pearly white.

Kathy- I have the stock RSM 130D. He settled on that spot you see in the picture on Day 1 and hasn't moved since. I haven't tried to move it, though I don't even see how it's possible because he has encrusted his foot to the LR.

Today I did not feed him Rods. It's just too expensive and since it's a blend of stuff and frozen, i've been wasting a lot just trying to find chunks of fish (and I don't want to feed the whole tank that every day) so I bought a nice piece of white fish and gave it a teeny piece this morning, my emerald crab was right there and begging as usual, so I gave him a piece too :) I have been feeding daily and was planning on continuing it.

Does that sound kosher? I have no problem hand feeding daily or more than once a day. I love this stuff. I hand feed the Sea Hare and he eats so much it takes me almost 10 minutes!

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Just let the anemone be and make sure, like Kathy said you have no exposed pumps for it to get sucked into.

Keep up with the feeding and it will color up.

Dont move it to another tank unless it detaches.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: