BuGG

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
hi, i would like to start testing for phosphate on my system. it is a 120 gal mixed reef tank with new sand and mostly established live rocks. it has been running steadily for only about 2 months. i've seen dinos on the sand based on the new tank syndrome. corals and fish all seem to be doing OK.

should i even start testing for phosphates at this point or do it later down the road when the tank is more established? for now i've only tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate from API. actually, just nitrates now. in a couple of days i will get a hold of the red sea foundation kit that includes Ca, Alk and Mag.

so should i start testing all these in a fairly new tank, or wait a couple of months? which hanna checker do you recommend? phosphate or phosphorus? if not hanna, what do you use to test phosphates? how is ease of use?

thanks in advance!!

jun

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
You want to check phosphate asap so you can get rid of them before they get outta control.Most use the hanna checker,straight foward test.If you have coral you want the phos low as possible.You want to know your cal alk mag also.You need to see where your levels are so you can slowly adjust to where you need them to be.Your gonna get some algae blooms but you want to get on top of the phosphate right away so it wont be as bad.Im sure some more experienced people will help,but testing your water is a good thing early so you know where your tank is going.Im new myself but I tested often so I saw what was happening it makes it easier to learn the water and adjust.

BuGG

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
hey steve, which hanna checker do you use? phosphate or phosphorus? you're right, i'd like to take some measurements on my tank and check it against acceptable ranges so i can adjust early on.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: