AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I just added a DI canister to my BRS standard 75 GPD unit on 4/26/13. Its installed under my kitchen sink. The next day my TDS was reading 0PPM and stayed between 0 and 1 for the next couple of days. I noticed today that its now at 3PPM. I took a closer look and the DI canister is almost completely brown.

I have the a float valve set up in the reservoir so it refills automatically.
I also noticed that the canisters are always filled with water i guess because its constantly topping off.

Is this normal? Did i get a bad/old batch of DI? Mutant Jersey water?

Nottick

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Rodi systems are incredibly inefficient at making small amounts of water. Best bet is to make as much water at once. To extend di life before I make water I have a "dump" valve that runs ro water to my waste line for a minute before I let it run through my di. Get a brute and store it somewhere to make 40 gallons at a time.

But with all that being said it seems a little quick still

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

Attachments

• DI Canister.jpg
    DI Canister.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 218

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Rodi systems are incredibly inefficient at making small amounts of water. Best bet is to make as much water at once. To extend di life before I make water I have a "dump" valve that runs ro water to my waste line for a minute before I let it run through my di. Get a brute and store it somewhere to make 40 gallons at a time.

But with all that being said it seems a little quick still

Thanks Nottick. No way the GF will allow a 40 Gallon brute out in the open lol. Plus I like having a small 5 gallon reservoir in case the ATO malfunctions and dumps the whole can in the sump. I do have the membrane flushing kit from BRS but I have not installed it yet. Probably get to that this weekend.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
just checked my dirty jersey tap its 208. 238 sounds kinda high.

Guys, correction. It looks like I installed the in (red line) after the sediment and carbon filters but before the membrane and I'm getting a 235 reading. I should have installed it before the any of the filters to read the the raw water, right? Still does not explain the DI exhaustion though.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Are you sure it's putting out waste water? Sounds like waste water is going thru DI...that would use up DI quickly

Thanks for the reply Albano,

Pretty sure I have it set up correctly. The waste line (black) is going straight down the drain. The untreated water (red line) comes out of the cold faucet and into the system and the clean water (blue line) is going into the reservoir. I have the TDS meter out line attached to the blue line.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Could be a bad batch. It happened to me before. It turned brown in a week and threw it out and put a new batch and it lasted months.

Thanks Shark. I just read that this stuff has a shelf life of 6 months so I'm wondering if it was sitting on a shelf in the canister or do they fill it up when order is placed?

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Can you disconnect the waste line from the drain and make sure that the unit is actually putting out 'enough' waste while making water?

I think so but i have a hard time removing those push connect fittings. I can see the waste line putting out water when i look down my sink drain though. I just installed the membrane flush kit and the pressure gauge. All things I wish i would have bought with the system from the beginning lol. I flushed the membrane and the waste water came out with pretty good pressure and the gauge is reading about 57-58 PSI. BRS website says you want it coming out at least 50 PSI.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: