willienelson

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying my hand at a clam for the first time. It arrived Wednesday and opened up fully shortly after being acclimated and added to the tank. I noticed yesterday afternoon when I got home from work that the clam was closed and my peppermint shrimp and a snail were hanging out near the clam. I wasn't really worried at that point. I thought they were just checking out the new addition, but this morning he is still closed and I checked my neptune stats and the ORP has dropped steadily from its normal range of 290-320 to 240 overnight. what should I do?

Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
let it settle in, when i first got my clam my hermit crabs harassed it to no end. i ended up putting a lot of the hermit crabs in my sump for a week, let the clam get settled in and then added them back now he is always open.

devoinbk

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Am in a similar situation plenty of light, water is great, fish and corals are great. Can't keep clams alive, had a 6" maxima in the tank for a 1 1/2 weeks was apparently doing ok and crapped out in a matter of 3 days. After that I put a 2" in the tank and a week later I playing Amazing Grace. It looks like the inside just shriveled up and the clam stayed open. My Blemmy ended up sleeping in both of them. I thinking maybe the Hermit crabs of possibly Turbo snails.

ReefFreak1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't attack it unless its dead. The clam is dying do to poor water or lack of food in the right measurement (300ppm) or more. I use a coral food from Greenwich aquariums that seems to do the trick. Feed it once a week but I only have a 29hqi. Make sure there is current too as well as there could be too much light. Maxima clams are really moody. Here a picture of two of my clams. ( not maxima)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1369320212.498360.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1369320212.498360.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 213

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
peppermint shrimp are sometimes known to eat clams even when they are healthy.

+1 i had a clam doing great, tank was doing great. put two peppermint shrimps in. they killed my clam within days. i caught them picking at the clams foot. then i moved the clam off the sandbed onto the rock. they found a hole int he rock under the clam and both kept at the clam till my clam was dead.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: