AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
My tank has been running since the end of March. In addition to running the equipment I have listed in my sig, I've been doing 20 gallon water changes every week for the past 4 weeks. My nitrates have been holding steady at 5-10PPM. Is it possible to get them lower? Should I run another reactor? If so, of what else?

No fish in the tank, Just a CUC.

Also, I've been running my lights at 60% for two hours a day for the past two weeks. I just increased it to 3 hours today.

Here's my parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10PPM
Phosphate: 0.06
PH: 8.0-8.3
Salinity: 30
TDS: 0

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Do you have a refugium? If so, I would also get a nice variety of macro algae. Some species thrive in high nutrients and other in low nutrient systems. I personally like to run my tanks at a very low nutrient levels so I like Red Mangroves, Cheato, Ulva ( which can also be fed to the fish) and Red or Green Glacinaria ( can also be fed to the fish) if you can get the fish to eat it you will also reduce the amount of nutrients you add to your tank. With a nice mix, some of the macros will thrive and not starve when your levels drop too low, my cheato somethimes whiters away because there is not enough nutrients even with high light cycles. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Do you have a refugium? If so, I would also get a nice variety of macro algae. Some species thrive in high nutrients and other in low nutrient systems. I personally like to run my tanks at a very low nutrient levels so I like Red Mangroves, Cheato, Ulva ( which can also be fed to the fish) and Red or Green Glacinaria ( can also be fed to the fish) if you can get the fish to eat it you will also reduce the amount of nutrients you add to your tank. With a nice mix, some of the macros will thrive and not starve when your levels drop too low, my cheato somethimes whiters away because there is not enough nutrients even with high light cycles. Hope this helps.

Thanks Sanman. Yes I have a fuge with some chaeto and rubble rock(seeded with some live rubble). The chaeto is not exactly growing like a weed but the size has increased. Starting to wonder when it should be pruned. I'm using a Hydroponic Full spectrum grown light 60 watt, 5500K. Running it every day from 10PM - 10AM. Also starting to wonder if I should go with an LED bulb.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Thanks Sanman. Yes I have a fuge with some chaeto and rubble rock(seeded with some live rubble). The chaeto is not exactly growing like a weed but the size has increased. Starting to wonder when it should be pruned. I'm using a Hydroponic Full spectrum grown light 60 watt, 5500K. Running it every day from 10PM - 10AM. Also starting to wonder if I should go with an LED bulb.

No problem, the Cheato will grow providing it feed off the right nutrients, like I said before I'd like to keep a nice mix of macros because they serve different purposes. I always pruned mine every 2-3 weeks. I make golf ball size pieces, that light should be fine. I think the ideal spectrum should be 5000-6500K, not sure but that's what I heard. I use an LED bulb from Home Depot (6500K) and I run it anywhere from 8-12 hours. I ran it for 4-5 hours when I first setup my tank then I gradually increase the light period about one hour per week until I hit the sweet spot. I like LED bulbs because they run cooler and there are less heat issues IMO. Hope this helps.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
start a carbon dose :) vodka does wonders :)

Carbon dosing also works but I believe his tank was just setup and I wouldn't recommend it at this point. He could control the nutrients issue with a diligent maintenance regimen. I would do 10-20% water changes weekly for the first 3 months, thats what i always do with no problems. Also watch your feeding, employ strong skimming and control your light photoperiod and intensities. I had a problem a few years ago when I dose vodka to one of my tanks. I only got to 0.5 ml and had a massive algae bloom and I went very slow. It is very easy to overdose your tank.

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My tank has been running since the end of March. In addition to running the equipment I have listed in my sig, I've been doing 20 gallon water changes every week for the past 4 weeks. My nitrates have been holding steady at 5-10PPM

I have the same problem. My tank has also been running since March. March 1971, and my nitrates read about 40 or so. Should I freak out? :confused:

bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Definetly dont trim it the bigger it is the more nutrients it will take up , and make sure its tumbling and if nit manually flip it around every so often so all sides get good light , keep doing water changes and i would stop running gfo , cheato and other macros need phosphates as well as nitrates to grow so by running the gro you are hindering the growth of the chaeto which keaves you with 0 phosphates but lots of butrients and poor cheato growth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reefs

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I have the same problem. My tank has also been running since March. March 1971, and my nitrates read about 40 or so. Should I freak out? :confused:

Lol, exactly. I don't go chasing low numbers. I watch my livestock and feeding. Also I stay on top of my maintenance. I remember the lowest my nitrates have been are at something like 0.5 and the phospates at .2. Can't get too crazy with that or you will go insane. Patience is key. Love your tank by the way. Great job Paul.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I am assuming the chaeto is being trimmed to fully export the nutrients out of the tank (regardless of where it is) then also make more room for chaeto to tumble. increase growth and uptake more nutrients.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
No problem, the Cheato will grow providing it feed off the right nutrients, like I said before I'd like to keep a nice mix of macros because they serve different purposes. I always pruned mine every 2-3 weeks. I make golf ball size pieces, that light should be fine. I think the ideal spectrum should be 5000-6500K, not sure but that's what I heard. I use an LED bulb from Home Depot (6500K) and I run it anywhere from 8-12 hours. I ran it for 4-5 hours when I first setup my tank then I gradually increase the light period about one hour per week until I hit the sweet spot. I like LED bulbs because they run cooler and there are less heat issues IMO. Hope this helps.

I'll keep that in mind Sanman. I'm only using Chaeto for now because I heard its the easiest macro to keep for beginners. Can you name the specific bulb you got from Home Depot? I'm thinking I will give this a shot.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Carbon dosing also works but I believe his tank was just setup and I wouldn't recommend it at this point. He could control the nutrients issue with a diligent maintenance regimen. I would do 10-20% water changes weekly for the first 3 months, thats what i always do with no problems. Also watch your feeding, employ strong skimming and control your light photoperiod and intensities. I had a problem a few years ago when I dose vodka to one of my tanks. I only got to 0.5 ml and had a massive algae bloom and I went very slow. It is very easy to overdose your tank.

I'm actually running a dual reactor of carbon and gfo. should I not be doing this??

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I'll keep that in mind Sanman. I'm only using Chaeto for now because I heard its the easiest macro to keep for beginners. Can you name the specific bulb you got from Home Depot? I'm thinking I will give this a shot.

You should also try Red mangroves. 1 or 2 should be fine on your tank. They're fairly easy to care for. Just wipe the leaves with fresh water at least once a week. They will get salt creep, I believe that's their way of exporting nutrients, also if any leaves fall off don't let them decay or stay in the sump too long. Just remove them, also trim the tip of the mangrove to prevent it from getting too high. I believe my LED bulb is a PAR 38. I'll take a picture when I get chance. It is a bit yellow. 6500K I believe.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
My tank has been running since the end of March. In addition to running the equipment I have listed in my sig, I've been doing 20 gallon water changes every week for the past 4 weeks. My nitrates have been holding steady at 5-10PPM. Is it possible to get them lower? Should I run another reactor? If so, of what else?

No fish in the tank, Just a CUC.

Also, I've been running my lights at 60% for two hours a day for the past two weeks. I just increased it to 3 hours today.

Here's my parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10PPM
Phosphate: 0.06
PH: 8.0-8.3
Salinity: 30
TDS: 0

Thanks!

It sounds good, I would keep up with the weekly water changes for at least 3 months. I've always done that, then I would do them every 2-3 weeks depending on your parameters and how your livestock is doing or reacting. Pay attention to your tank, it's the best way to determine how everything is doing. Also I notice you are running your lights at 60%, my new shallow tank has been running for about three weeks now and I'm running my lights at 20% peak for 4 hours. They ramp up at 7:30 am to 5% until 10:30 then to 20% from 12:30-4:30 then down to 5% until 6:30 then go into moonlight at 8:00 PM. I will increase the intensity and duration every week depending on how everything is doing, also this helps me control any inevitable algae and diatom blooms at the beginning.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You should also try Red mangroves. 1 or 2 should be fine on your tank. They're fairly easy to care for. Just wipe the leaves with fresh water at least once a week. They will get salt creep, I believe that's their way of exporting nutrients, also if any leaves fall off don't let them decay or stay in the sump too long. Just remove them, also trim the tip of the mangrove to prevent it from getting too high. I believe my LED bulb is a PAR 38. I'll take a picture when I get chance. It is a bit yellow. 6500K I believe.

Thanks, I'll look into the mangroves and appreciate the info on the LED.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: