drej424

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I use an old (clean) tank for water storage. I keep a small heater, an air stone, and a water pump in it for circulation and I try to keep it always filled. It's a 55G. It's never there for an entire month, but what difference would it make as long as the water circulates? I have a lot of tanks....

Bombel

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm cool thanks the only reason I'm asking is because I'm starting my first tank and the lfs I ordered the stand from is telling me I need to wait 2 more weeks for it..... Il just wait then I bought a 33 gal trash can a pump and heater aswell to mix the water in the can

Bombel

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kk cool. Also ive been reading online about water parameters and everywhere I read says something a bit different. Should I aim for 1.024 sg or lower?! I have 1 of those instant ocean plastic hydrometers going to see if the local Walgreens has a tds meter so I can check my ro/di water

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I try keeping 1.025. You can get away with 1.020 but in general most fish and corals like it higher. I think the ocean is around 1.025 in general but there are always fluctuations both in temperature and salinity.

Greagzter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I wouldn't recommend keeping the water the trash bin for that long. Personally I experienced some red slime algae from doing that recently. These buckets in my opinion leach unwanted stuff in to your water when left for some time. There was a thread on here not so long ago about using these buckets. Also as swinbk mentioned some salt requires 24 hours before being used in a water change. I use Red Sea coral pro it dissolves faster and is ready for use shortly after.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: