pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I'm setting up a new tank this summer, but I've only got one chiller which is hooked up to my current tank, and my apartment gets really hot in summer.

I will be starting from scratch with dead sand and rock so I thought I'd take advantage of the summer months to let the new tank cycle. How hot is too hot? Will I just be making a cesspool in my living room? Any thoughts?

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I am not sure how hot it has to be to kill the bacteria you are trying to grow but let's assume it can take 90. So after x number of weeks your tank is cycled and then what.
What can you put in the tank. So either wait till September or figure out a way to cool it.

CoralMeister

The Flying Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Heres your big problem. With the hot temperatures and you starting to cycle your tank, you will probably get ridiculous amounts of algae even with RODI water during your cycle. Its because an imbalance of parameters. You will get algae regardless of temperatures, its just that it grows slower in lower temps.

Hotter Temperatures = Increased rate of algae growth.

Get a clip on fan and attach it to the top of the tank during your cycle

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: