stormi2ider

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hey MR,

Just had a quick question and wanted to see what I need to do. I am planning on purchasing live stock from an online site but have been reading up and not sure on if I should quarantine them. Any suggestions or rather is it a necessity?

If I do need to quarantine them, how should I got about to start one up? is there anything that I need to do differently then a regular tank?

Thanks MR, any info would help.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
In theory you should QT everything.
What you setup depends on space available for the QT tank. QT should be a tank (the bigger the better), heater, pump(s), and maybe a cup of sand for any sand diving wrasses, or rock/etc for any fish to hide in/sleep in. Filter would help maintain water quality. A light is also helpful to get fish comfortable to tank life, and to provide sunlight for any corals.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Rookie. I guess my next question would be if I purchased multiple fishes at once, would it be okay to put them all in at the same time to QT?

Depends if there's livestock in the tank already,,,I like to add my fish to a breeder box for at least a week so the other fishes can get used to it without having to add it into the tank and watch it disappear forever behind the rocks because there other fish bullied it.

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I'm going to turn my 29 freshwater tank into a QT/hospital tank. I've done some research and IMO it should be bare bottom and I'm going to put some pvc pieces in there diff sizes to give some fish a place to hide. I will QT for 6 weeks. Make sure the fish eats and shows no signs of ich or disease. Once the 6 weeks have passed, I will introduce him into the DT but in a breeder box so the other fish get used to him and don't stress him out. But would this be best to just put him in the tank itself - this way he can hide in the rocks if he gets worried, instead of being stuck in the clear box where he may not feel as "safe".

My next fish is going to be a mandarin, I assume QTing a mandarin is harder because of pod population is in the DT tank itself & Sump. Any ideas on that?

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a hang on the back filter for qt. u can leave the filter pack in your main sump for the qt. then when u need it, put in filter pack and water and you have instant cycle. Good question on mandarin. I'm interested on the answer to that one. My guess maybe add a rock from main to qt and add pods during qt period. Also, six weeks seems like a long qt. I usually do two full weeks. Good luck

drej424

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I got my first mandarin 2months ago. From what I read, mandarin are more resistant to disease than most fish. Many people don't QT them. I put mine in a 10g QT tank with live sand, rock rubble, and macro algae. Mine's still thin and not eating frozen food, so it's Im keeping it there to monitor it. I tried a lot of different foods. It seems that some pods are too big for it. I got a brine shrimp hatchery dish from www.brineshrimpdirect.com. The thing works great and my mandarin has been eating so much better.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: