shibbyplustax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Okay so i picked up a tds meter today at walmart an decided to test all my water sources. Tap water measured at 52 ppm, my filtered water from the fridge measured 40ppm and my 4 stage ro system measured 14ppm. Does this sound normal? It seems as though my tap water isnt as bad as some, but i am worried about my ro water. Isnt it supposed to be at 0 ppm? Is 14ppm water good enough quality for a nano reef tank?

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Okay so i picked up a tds meter today at walmart an decided to test all my water sources. Tap water measured at 52 ppm, my filtered water from the fridge measured 40ppm and my 4 stage ro system measured 14ppm. Does this sound normal? It seems as though my tap water isnt as bad as some, but i am worried about my ro water. Isnt it supposed to be at 0 ppm? Is 14ppm water good enough quality for a nano reef tank?

My tap water measures around 35ppm, the water coming out of my DI resin measures 0 TDS. Try changing the carbon cartridges or maybe the membrane is exhausted. Hope this helps.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
This is my unit, notice the pressure gauge right by the membrane.

f5d17e2fc1c7b9101257b881e6069480.jpg

shibbyplustax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Im going to flush the system a few times, i just realized i only did this once after installing everything, maybe this could be the problem. I will also run some flow tests to see the ratio of clean to dirty water.

Just tested the meter in distilled water and it read 000 so its not the meter...

This is my unit, notice the pressure gauge right by the membrane.

f5d17e2fc1c7b9101257b881e6069480.jpg

How much did that system cost you? I may end up getting a new system if i cant get mine running better. I got this for free in a deal with other tanks so im not too mad.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Im going to flush the system a few times, i just realized i only did this once after installing everything, maybe this could be the problem. I will also run some flow tests to see the ratio of clean to dirty water.

Just tested the meter in distilled water and it read 000 so its not the meter...

How much did that system cost you? I may end up getting a new system if i cant get mine running better. I got this for free in a deal with other tanks so im not too mad.

I forgot to mention that, I flush my system for about 2-3 minutes every time I'm done making water. I bought this unit from the Filterguyz, it's the 75gpd one. I believe I paid $199 with everything. I added prefilter canister before the booster pump, it helps extend the life of my cartridges. I change the prefilter about every 4-6 weeks once it starts to get dark brown.

shibbyplustax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yeah idk whats goin on. I took the waste hose and clean hose and put them each in a 5 gal bucket and the waste water filled up about 1/2 (2.5g)the 1st bucket while the clean water barely filled up enough to cover 1/4 of the bottom of the bucket! No wonder why it took forever to fill my storage tank. Def going to get a new system and stop trouble shooting this one. Can i get a good system for under $100? Any suggestions?

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Its the DI resin you are missing. You should be getting much more waste than ro water that is normal. I would measure how much ro water is coming out and time it and see if you are getting close to the advertised gpd

shibbyplustax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Its the DI resin you are missing. You should be getting much more waste than ro water that is normal. I would measure how much ro water is coming out and time it and see if you are getting close to the advertised gpd

I know the dirty/clean ratio should be 4:1 but we are talking about a 5 gallon bucket half full with waste water while the clean bucket had a few drops in it. there is no way this system is performing like its supposed to. i just ordered a whole new 4 stage system from brs with a di resin. i don't trust this system as i can find no info on it and it has given me nothing but trouble from the start.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: