AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I put this in the for sale section by mistake...

So I was inspecting the plumbing today when I noticed some salt buildup on my 1 inch bulkhead. Does this mean that I have a leak? Should I try tightening the bulkhead? Replacing it? Silicone? Bulkhead has been in place since about January.

If it is a leak, how much time do I have before it gets worse?

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• Left 1 Inch Bulkhead.jpg
    Left 1 Inch Bulkhead.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 265

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hand tighten only, no vice grips. Hope that helps, good luck with anything and please let me know if you need help with anything.

I just hand tightened. Not sure if it actually moved but I gave it the best turn I could. I appreciate the offer Bro. I might need it, lol. I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully it won't continue to be an issue. Kinda annoying that this pops up just when I'm about to purchase my first fish.

As always everyone, I appreciate the feedback!

felix tesler

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
lefty loosy righty tighty clean off the salt deposit come in a few days and see if the crystals formed again if yes then you have a problem that you need to fix asap i own a 94 corner myself if there is a crack you need to fix it right away because you could wake up to your tank on the floor

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
If you end up needing bulkheads for whatever reason go with schedule 80 bulkheads. They are the grey heavy duty ones. Bulk Reef supply and some other places have them. Get threaded bulkheads and use a threaded to slip adapter so if something needs to change you don't have to get another bulkhead just undo the threaded part.

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Not sure. Tank builders usually make the holes big enough for sched 80 and a little too big for regular bulkheads. You are still able to use them but you have to center them exactlly on the hole. I think the big tank manufacturers make the holes big enough for just the regular black bulkheads since they sell mega-flow kits and other setups like that. OP check with them first if you go this route.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: