alexhpc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bought a 90 gallon from craigslist with fish and soft corals... it came with a huge sump that was in a basement, so I needed to upgrade to a under cabinet sump, well the fish store guys who transported the tank sold me some wet dry filter filter for $200 and said I can put live rock instead of bioballs in it and its the same as a sump... is that true? I haven't been able to see any info, I mean all a sump is just a container, right?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I bought a 90 gallon from craigslist with fish and soft corals... it came with a huge sump that was in a basement, so I needed to upgrade to a under cabinet sump, well the fish store guys who transported the tank sold me some wet dry filter filter for $200 and said I can put live rock instead of bioballs in it and its the same as a sump... is that true? I haven't been able to see any info, I mean all a sump is just a container, right?
Not necessarily just a container, it has to do with any compartments already built inside of it.
Many sumps are not set up with L/R in them (and definitely not bio-balls as you know). Many have 3 chambers, one each for the skimmer, return pump and a fuge which can simply contain live sand and macro algaes.

Any chance of posting a pic of it?

alexhpc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
picture of the filter

What would you do with it? Get a new one, or work with this one? IT has a filter pad on top, I am guessing it plays the same function as a filter sock.

Attachments

• IMG_20130719_114152_345.jpg
    IMG_20130719_114152_345.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 253

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have the same skimmer, I think . If it has a sedra 3500 pump , then it's the same. I also had it running in a wet/dry sump for some time, maybe a year or so.I left the bioballs in the sump for an experiment. I kept the the filter pad on top very clean and I never had an increase in nitrates, they were mostly 0 , every time I checked. Also all the corals in my tank did very well. I have since built my own very basic 20 gal sump and don't use the WD filter anymore. I know what is said about the buildup of nitrates from the bioballs but I didn't experience that....go figure???
Anyway , the skimmer I think it's one of the better skimmers that used to be on the market. I kept my water level at about an inch below half in the WD filter. Just make sure you have enuf room in the sump so as not to overflo in case your return pump goes off for some reason.IF you can fit it in there , leave it in there.

Attachments

• 1335364265153.jpg
    1335364265153.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC00819.JPG
    DSC00819.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: