Gracias

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi - I never measured kH before but bought a kit after I was having issues with PH swing.

My PH measures at 8.4 and KH at 107 - according to the API Kh chart the KH should be about 140-200ppm -

So the question is how do I raise the KH? and will it also raise my PH??

Thanks

LavaToad

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are buffers which raise both pH and KH together, just make sure you follow the instructions. Kent Marine makes one, I'm not sure if there is a recommended buffer everyone here uses?

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
In reef tank hobby we usually measure alkalinity in units of DKH or meq/L
I never really used the ppm measurement. Does the API test kit have a table for either one of those measurements? Most will be more familiar in dkh or meq/L

Gracias

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
In reef tank hobby we usually measure alkalinity in units of DKH or meq/L
I never really used the ppm measurement. Does the API test kit have a table for either one of those measurements? Most will be more familiar in dkh or meq/L

yes the chart says 6-11 dkh is (100-200 ppm) Fresh water and 8-11 dkh (140-200ppm) is for marine life. I am probable around the 6.5 dkh.

My Ph sings from 7.2 to 8.4 that's both on a probe and test kit.

As I understand it in need to ad ph buffer to increase KH but my PH is at 8.4 so I am concerned I may raise the ph to much if I try to adjust the KH.

Does anyone know of a product or DIY formula to raise just kh?

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Use regular baking soda made by arm and hammer. Do not use baking powder it's baking soda you need. Tell us ow many gallons the system is so we can tel you how much baking soda to add. You want to do this very very slowly as a kh spike can wipe out allot of corals specifically sps. Are you using 2 part to manually dose calcium and alkalinity? What do you have in the tank.

Gracias

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks Adam - I am dosing 2 lil fishes c balance part A & B. I figured it out the mistake was on my end with doser. once I started manually dosing by hand and continued testing all is well:). Now I need to keep an eye out for a used doser....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: