mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I just purchased a "Nano Cube 12 Gallon" from a guy on Craigslist. He wasn't sure what model it was and didn't have a lot of info on the tank itself.

I was wondering if anyone could tell by the photos I took - and also if someone could explain what the 3 lights switches on the top. I understand the white and blue, but nothing seems to happen when I switch the LED button on the far right. Do I need to set something up special for that?

Thanks

Attachments

• 2013-08-07 21.59.30.jpg
    2013-08-07 21.59.30.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 487
  • 2013-08-07 21.59.50.jpg
    2013-08-07 21.59.50.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 471
  • 2013-08-07 21.59.01.jpg
    2013-08-07 21.59.01.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 470
  • 2013-08-07 21.58.11.jpg
    2013-08-07 21.58.11.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 478

bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Current made the aquapod for a little its a 12 g the last chamber is very weird because the middle two are shorter than the rest and the last chamber is an l shape which makes no sense to me , i got mine as a tank only so i didnt have the hood but i heard the ballasts were very bad and sometimes caused fires , i use mine as a planted tank so its not such a big deal the filtration is very simple i just stuffed some sponges in there , idk if i would use one as a reef tank because of the weird filtration and the lights and pump will definetly have to be upgraded

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reefs

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Ummm... I don't know maybe it's just me.. but if you plug it in and read each switch before pressing it.... It may be a description to what it is.

But then again, this is just me assuming on what they do.

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I read each switch.. And another member on here helped me figure it out. The craigslist seller failed to give me the AC adapter which plugs into a slot on the back on the hood, it is hidden fairly well, this is why when I pushed the LED switch nothing happened. I guess they are for the moon lighting - they are two small LEDs, doubt they are that important anyways.

On the bright side, it has managed to hold water fine for the past two days! One step closer! Back to pacific aquarium for sand tomorrow... Weird how am I excited for such a slow process!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
It sounds like the seller on Craigslist really didn't know what he was selling...probably just was looking to unload something he had laying around the house or got in a garage sale.

Nevertheless it is salvageable...as long as the tank is leak free, which I would check before doing anything else, this is the perfect opportunity to do some simple upgrades.

If you got the tank for a good deal on CL then take the $$ you saved off the price of the tank and upgrade... now I don't know what your intentions are for the tank but swapping out the return pumps and putting some improved lighting over the top would benefit any tank.

Perhaps take the top off completely and get a small led fixture to sit on top. This could give you a little more versatility for keeping better corals and combating the heat transfer issue under the hood. As a owner of a 28 Nano I know heat was always an issue...Going topless definitely remedied that problem.

Just some suggestions.. no better time than now to better your tank. I'm sure if you searched around on here and asked some questions you'll find others that made mods to the same tank. Also check out the market place for any used items your seeking..fellow reefers will have knowledge of what their selling and are more likely to sell you complete and working items.

Best of luck!

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks Dakota - great insight! I did a lot of research and reading on the AP12.. it passed the leak test, I currently have it cycling with ~11lbs of live sand and ~12lbs of LR. I've done a few modifications as well, considered removing the hood, but I'm not completely sold on the aesthetics of it. Also, since this is my fist go at a saltwater tank, I think I'm going to keep it simple with easy corals and only a few fish. From what I've read my lighting should be sufficient for that - Maybe in a year I will be ready to upgrade to an LED fixture.

Fellow reefers have reached out with helpful advice and I am glad I found this forum!

BFITZ - do you remember what mods you made and what was your impression with this setup?

So far I have upgraded the return pump to an MJ900, upgraded the stock bulbs with the 32 watt ones, plugged the bottom vents to the return chamber, and added a Koralia Nano and a Hydor deflector (the MJ900 is blowing my substrate all over the front right corner)

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
No.problem. Sounds like your off to a good start. Yeah those mj's are powerful. Maybe look into some kind of deflector to put onto the return?? I am concerned that those bulbs are going to give you a problem with heat though...

Trust me I have nothing to gain in selling you a led fixture I'm only talking from experience... The CF bulbs I had created an enormous amount of heat and the built in exhaust fans only provided little relief. I switched to T5's over an open top and the tank stays a constant 78. But run them for a little while see what happens before you add anything you could always change it.

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
It was a good 1st setup I had the 24gallon . At 1st all I did was upgraded the return pump to an mj ??? cant remember the size off hand and added a steve t media basket. Tank was great but evaporation was a problem so I added a ato . There are lots of things you can do to it just google aquapod . Ill look in my basement think I may have a few things for it that you can have

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks BFITZ, I'd appreciate it!

So far I haven't had any evaporation or heat issues - but I haven't been running my lights for 10 hours either. I have the tank in a room with an AC so I'm hoping that will help... otherwise I may end up removing the hood, in which case I'm sure I'll need an ATO then - I've been researching DIY ATOs, they look simple enough

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Added the Koralia Nano and the Hydor deflector. The deflector seems to work well, but it really cuts down on the output.

Now the wait begins...

Attachments

• 2013-08-19_21-05-07-1.jpg
    2013-08-19_21-05-07-1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 135

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Any ideas for a CUC? My ammonia and nitrates are 0 - nitrites are ~1

I purchased 2 Encrusted Astraea snails (not sure they were labeled correctly), 1 blue legged hermit crab, and an Emerald Crab. I know I need much more, what are your thoughts??

Also - should I order this from reefs2go?

http://www.reefs2go.com/product/INV_NANO10PACK/Live-Saltwater-Algae-Eating-Crew.html

Seems like it might be a bit much for my 12 gal

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
i have a biocube skimmer that would fit in the back chamber if you interested ? just needs a new air pump you can have it just have to come pick it up

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yeah - in the future I am considering removing the hood anyways - I'm starting to notice a temperature increase lately (82.6) - in which case I could accommodate a skimmer correct?

What kind of pump would I need to get? I have the stock pump that came with the tank sitting around

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
It would work with the top closed just need an air bubbler pump for it . You could upgrade the fans in the hood to help with the temp. I forgot to tell you that before that was the 1st thing I did . It's very easy just get larger higher rpm computer fans .

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Oh really? Great - I have no experience at all with skimmers so forgive my ignorance :)

Yeah, I read somewhere to switch the fan direction so that it is blowing IN the tank as well - what are your thoughts on that?

I also noticed I can add another fan - do you happen to remember where you purchased the fans?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: