Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Does anyone have a link to a good source on information regarding how to cycle a tank properly? I know there are several ways to do it, but I am starting my 12 gallon tank back up and I want to find the best, quickest way to cycle the tank. Thanks!

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I'm currently in the process of cycling a 12 gal tank. I added 11lbs of live sand, 6lbs of LR (with an additional 6 in base rock), and 2lbs of rubble in a rear chamber. Its been running for just under a week now. Hoping it completely cycles in a month - this is my first shot at saltwater - good luck with your setup!

FocusReefing

Just a podcaster from Queens
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
+1. I always cycled all my tanks like that, no need to add a shrimp or ammonia or any of that stuff.

What if starting without any form of live media? Would this still be the case? Because I'm planning on using base rock & dry sand. I don't want to risk introducing any nuisance of any kind. I even plan on adding lower life forms slowly at intervals (ie. Copepods, ect)when it comes time.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The whole purpose of adding more sources of ammonia, like a shrimp, is to increase the bacteria in the tank, which will help handle a larger load from the beginning. Not having enough bacteria in the tank in the beginning is a problem, especially if you try and overstock the tank, which may cause high ammonia or even a mini-cycle until the bacteria catches up.

tttony

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Over half of the new tank threads are people buying a tank and filling it with water , rock , coral and fish , the same day, I guess that show tanked really has helped

viplok

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Over half of the new tank threads are people buying a tank and filling it with water , rock , coral and fish , the same day, I guess that show tanked really has helped

haha. its not true. most of the threads here are from upgrades. so they have everything ready in other tank.:tongue1:

Tanked really gives bad impression. hard work behind every tank. its not a 1 day thing

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: