Jenna X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
8 gallon fully stocked fishes are fine and corals with the exception of froggy, torch and 2 acans which don't look too happy.
0 ammonia .25 nitrite 0 nitrate
I did a water change a few days ago and disturbed the sand bed I was being a*al about the rock placement. I'm frustrated to say the least. Please help!

Jenna X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I've managed to setup a QT tank for corals. They are now recovering.

As to the 8 gallon still going through a mini cycle, advice is welcomed and appreciated.
FYI, I only recently started using RODI water, so as of now rock has a few spots showing red and green algae.
To add, I find the rock atrocious! and considering replacing with cured live rock. Don't know how that's going to happen :/

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Not sure what you mean by "I find the rock atrocious! and considering replacing with cured live rock". What kind of rock do you have? The numbers sound strange. Would have expected to see some nitrates if you already cycled.
Anyway, small tanks don't leave much room for error. There is very little volume to help dilute any problems. Corals fight with each other even when not touching. They give off chemicals that will injure/kill their neighbors. In bigger tanks the volume of water helps dilute the affect of these chemicals. In smaller tanks you can do 2 things. Keep to the same family which should help reduce the fighting. Introduce a new coral one at a time with a few months in between so they can hopefully get used to each other. Froggy and torch are both Euphellia so maybe they can be considered one type. So at this point I would put just those two corals in and see how they do. Time will tell.

viplok

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Not sure what you mean by "I find the rock atrocious! and considering replacing with cured live rock". What kind of rock do you have? The numbers sound strange. Would have expected to see some nitrates if you already cycled.
Anyway, small tanks don't leave much room for error. There is very little volume to help dilute any problems. Corals fight with each other even when not touching. They give off chemicals that will injure/kill their neighbors. In bigger tanks the volume of water helps dilute the affect of these chemicals. In smaller tanks you can do 2 things. Keep to the same family which should help reduce the fighting. Introduce a new coral one at a time with a few months in between so they can hopefully get used to each other. Froggy and torch are both Euphellia so maybe they can be considered one type. So at this point I would put just those two corals in and see how they do. Time will tell.

leave the nano tank for the pros, theres no room for error. 55+ is a good beginner tank.

i do agree why is there no nitrate? test kit your using? how long is the tank running?

Jenna X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
8g started end of May. Cycled in a month using live sand, microbe lift, and nite out ii (brs dry rock). Had issues first month after cycling because of overfeeding, second time is the case here. API Test kit is fine, I test newly prep water vs my tank to verify.
I have a 29g currently cycling with live sand live cured rock. Once this is done, I will transfer any LS from small tank to larger since I've been warned about difficulties in maintaining 8g. But I do intent to keep the small tank either as QT tank or softie only tank.

Thanks for all the advise, I did get specifics from a fellow mr friend.
:)

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I would leave the LS just make sure it is not over an inch deep. LS and rock is what helps keep things stable. The rock does become live slowly. Do you have fish in there that you are feeding?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: