viplok

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
HI MR!

soon i think i am going to start a stand alone frag tank (not connected to main tank). the frag tank wont have any fish in it. it will be mainly zoos and sps.

i got few question that i would like to clear up before i start planning. 1st, because theres no fish can i just set up the system right away and throw sps and zoos in it? i wont be adding any nutrient in the system so is LR necessary? i know coral poops too but they also consume waste as well?

the frag tank i am thinking about is a shallow custom 12-15g tank. any 1 have success keeping one of those? skimmer?

thanks in advance any info will be appreciated:scratchch:scratchch

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
I disagree , fish are not neccessary but live rock or some sort of bio media shoukd be added and cycled just like any other tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reefs

I disagree....lol!

You running a frag tank?

I'm running a shallow frag tank around 30g. When I start without a tang in the first 3 months, my frag looks horrible, health wise, cuz algea is taking over the frag disk.

If you seed your frag tank with your display tank water and maybe a few piece of rock, you don't need to cycle.

Waleedwale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
I think that a tank would cause high nutrients and would probably be stress out. If you have a larger tank and the tang is very small, he could stay in the frag tank for a bit, clean up, and then be moved to the larger tank. A better way would be to get some snails, a cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp and maybe some peppermint shrimp. They wouldn't need to be fed often, they would take care of the algae, they wouldn't be crowded and could spend their whole lives in the tank without outgrowing it. They also have a low bio load. Peppermint shrimp could take care of any apstasia as well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: