Cvaughn1062

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
hydrogen peroxide saves the day! was about ready to take both tanks down, but no more!! the dynos have retreated im still dosing to keep them away but it looks good, also it was very usefull as a 50/50 dip the stuff works miracles, I hate dosing anything especially something I picked up from cvs, I hate dosing so much I do water changes with zero nitrates just to replenish stuff I could be dosing in (I use red sea coral pro salt) but hydrogen peroxide that stuff man, I may not even stop dosing it, I may just slowly lower the amount im putting into my tank, water quality is amazing nothing is really bothered by it, even after the dip they came out later that day if not than the next.

Mrod058

Ancient Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very careful with hydrogen peroxide in the tanks system because it is very harmful to all inverts such as Copepods, mysis shrimp, snails,hermit crabs, ect... It is also fatal to any sps causing them to bleach with just the smallest amount... Dipping rocks to kill algae is ok but it should be followed up with a nice freshwater rinse.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Be very careful with hydrogen peroxide in the tanks system because it is very harmful to all inverts such as Copepods, mysis shrimp, snails,hermit crabs, ect... It is also fatal to any sps causing them to bleach with just the smallest amount... Dipping rocks to kill algae is ok but it should be followed up with a nice freshwater rinse.

Not to bad with SPS. i do 1to 20 mixture for 15 min on SPS they they are fine. Chalices are alot more sensitive

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
ive been reading everywhere about this and please people beware that this can be lethal to your inverts and corals if done incorrectly.

All i have read is that people use this as a dip. Can this be dosed in tank at a very minimal dosage?...

Mrod058

Ancient Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've sat down with Justin credible from reefgen and we had a discussion about hydrogen peroxide for well over an hour. Hydrogen peroxide should only be used as a dip for specific corals with the exclusion of sps from what I'm told... I would really recommend not using it to dose a tank at all. I use it a lot to get pests off zoas and Lps corals but I was advised never to expose sps to hydrogen peroxide because it is too risky. If you do a 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 10 part water solution and put a piece of live rock in it watch all the Copepods and nudis and bristleworms just die and float to the top and die... It's dangerous in a full reef, but used as a dip to kill algae and pests it should be fine as long as you do an additional dip in another tub with some regular saltwater.

Mrod058

Ancient Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A solution too strong can do that.... It's better to use like a 1part hydrogen peroxide to 10 parts water solution. Dipping too long can kill corals but 5-10 minute dips is no problem. It's just enough to kill pests and algae

Mrod058

Ancient Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done on chalices but the dip should last no longer then 1-2 minutes in a solution of 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 20 parts water... Chalices are very sensitive to it but I assure you I've done it plenty of times! The only corals ive personally dealt with that absolutely cannot tolerate it is most sps, and I would never recommend doing so... But it seems like everyone has had a share of experiences. I propagate and sell corals for a living and failure isn't an option for me.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Well then it shows nothing is the same in this hobby. I have dipped all SPS in H202 for 15 minutes and 1-20 mixture with no ill effects. I tried chalices and lost a watermelon. Joe from Atlantis marine and his girlfriend Laura both told me never dip chalices after i lost my chalice.

Cvaughn1062

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I also dosed my tank with 6ml a day for 2 weeks, my parameters are awesome haven't lost anything in my tank, I think the people who say its bad either used it incorrectly or just cant wrap there mind around putting hydrogen peroxide in there fish tank

Cvaughn1062

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I dipped to remove hair alage so my dip was quick and slighty more concentrated, it killed my hair alage and didn't harm the chalice, as far as dosing, idk if any of you have had dinos but if you don't do something about them your gunna kill everything, it will agitate corals till they die and it will kill all your tangs or other fish who eat it, so when your in a situation where your gunna loose everything in your tank, your first gunna black your tank out for 4 days because that doesn't involve putting chemicals in your tank, and then when you see it coming back your going to eventually give in, use hydrogen peroxide and beat the beast, or its gunna come back and your gunna be screwed and let everything die, but I can honestly say this is the only way to irradicate dinos

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: