ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Here are the test results I have gather in the past couple of weeks. I seem to have seen the ammonia and nitrite peak then go to zero. Cycling started on Sept. 26, 2013.

See the following link for details on the tank:
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/154100-rm13-elos-mini.html#post1407387

10/16/2013:
Temp: 79.8 F (via apex)
pH: 8.12 (via apex)
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

==> Ghost Feeding everyday(2 times since last test)

10/14/2013:

Temp: 80.0 F (via apex)
pH: 8.13 (via apex)
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm

==> Ghost Feeding every other day.
==> Water change on 10/10

10/09/2013:
Temp: 80.1 F (via apex)
pH: 8.15 (via apex)
Salinity: 1.023
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm

==> Performed a 5 gallon water change

10/04/2013: (Test result in first image of this post)
Temp: 80.1 F (via apex)
pH: 8.05 (via apex)
Salinity: 1.020
Ammonia: 0.5 ppm
Nitrite: 2.0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm

==> "Ghost Fed" some pellets

10/01/2013:
Temp: 79.1 F (via apex)
pH: 8.05 (via apex)
Salinity: 1.018
Ammonia: 0.5 ppm
Nitrate: undetectable

Attachments

• Test10162013-1.jpg
    Test10162013-1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 323
  • Test10142013-1.jpg
    Test10142013-1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 312
  • Fall2013-1.jpg
    Fall2013-1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 317

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Looking good. :)
Time for a small clean up crew.

Do NOT add any spur of the moment purchases (please!).
Do you have a plan for what fish you'd like to keep? If so, which ones? We can help guide you in the order to put them in the tank.
Corals?

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Looking good. :)
Time for a small clean up crew.

Do NOT add any spur of the moment purchases (please!).
Do you have a plan for what fish you'd like to keep? If so, which ones? We can help guide you in the order to put them in the tank.
Corals?

From a live stock list . . since this is a really small tank, was thinking the following:

- pair of clowns
- Yasha Goby with a pistol shrimp
- possum wrasse (or something like it)
- sea urchin (tuxedo)
- cleaner shrimp

For corals it will me a mixed reef but I will not be adding any corals until I know I can sustain fish.

Thanks for guidance.

lskywalker5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'd say add a yellow tailed Damsel, there good fish to help with making it ready for the other fish; and there not a aggressive as other Damsels. Im no expert but i think the clowns would come after the Damsels, but I dont know when

Last edited:

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Iskywalker5, where in NY are you located?

Also I would rethink the tuxedo urchin if your planning on keeping corals. Everything gets stuck very easily to them

The Urchin is actually low on my list. I just want this tank to have some different creatures in it and liked the look of that little thing.

lskywalker5 - I typically get fish from many of the vendors in this site. There isn't a good local fish store around me so I need to drive or order folk vendors who are more local to me. I'm in Queens btw.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I would not add a damsel or ANY other fish to make the tank ready for other fish as stated above, but especially a damsel. He'd wind up being the bully of the tank. You're feelings about it would most likely change from its such a pretty shade of blue to why did I ever put that darn thing in my tank.

Of the tank is properly cycled none of those fish on your list will have any issues. I'm also a rim believer in not torturing ANY fish to cycle a tank. Just my opinion.

After the tank is fully cycled you could do as big of a water change as you wanted before adding livestock to immediately drop your nitrates and you'd be ready for your first additions at that point.

Good luck.

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Thanks all for the continued guidance.

But it looks like the tank is not quite ready for life stock. I added a table shrimp to provide a more potent ammonia source. There is a "spike" in Ammonia and Nitrite but the readings are still fairly low.

Here are the test results:

10/18/2013:
Temp: 79.9 F (via apex)
pH: 8.13 (via apex)
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

==> Added table shrimp on 10/16 for a more potent ammonia source.

I will leave the shrimp for another couple of days and retest.

Attachments

• Test10182013-1.jpg
    Test10182013-1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 219

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I would not add a damsel or ANY other fish to make the tank ready for other fish as stated above, but especially a damsel. He'd wind up being the bully of the tank. You're feelings about it would most likely change from its such a pretty shade of blue to why did I ever put that darn thing in my tank.

Of the tank is properly cycled none of those fish on your list will have any issues. I'm also a rim believer in not torturing ANY fish to cycle a tank. Just my opinion.

After the tank is fully cycled you could do as big of a water change as you wanted before adding livestock to immediately drop your nitrates and you'd be ready for your first additions at that point.

Good luck.

I would have to agree. I made the damsel mistake on my old 90G. I nearly had to tear down my entire tank to get that guy out.

I have always found clown fish to be very resilient and was thinking of having them as the first inhabitants. I dont really like all the "designer" clowns the plain clowns look great to my eyes (just as nature intended lol).

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
i would have to agree. I made the damsel mistake on my old 90g. I nearly had to tear down my entire tank to get that guy out.

I have always found clown fish to be very resilient and was thinking of having them as the first inhabitants. I dont really like all the "designer" clowns the plain clowns look great to my eyes (just as nature intended lol).

+1

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: