sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Just picked up a 75g from a fellow member. Tank is in great shape as far as I can tell but coming from a Biocube this is all new to me as far as plumbing, pumps, dumps, etc.
Any and all info/input welcomed.

As of now all I have is the tank and stand. Need pumps, sump, powerheads, skimmer/reactor and whatever else comes with a build this size.

Sent from my HTCONE using Reefs

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Thank you. Excited to get it running. It's just sitting there empty next to my biocube and the look my clowns keep giving me is like "hurry up dude or I'm throwing this Yellowtail over the rim." Or maybe it's just me. Lol

What do u guys recommend as after as pump, sump and skimmer for a tank this size? And please tell me based on experience and not just because it's the most expensive thing on the market and if you could you would get one.

Sent from my HTCONE using Reefs

Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a sump i recommend building one. it is very easy. i got a 20 gallon from pet smart for $36. then i took plexiglass that i had lying around from an old skylight or something. you can buy it for real cheap too. then get silicone, like 3-4 bucks. then just cut out the plexiglass, and tape it in position. then add the silicone. this way is so much easier, you can custom fit your equipment, and costs like 45-50 bucks.

n3hihz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
for a sump i recommend building one. it is very easy. i got a 20 gallon from pet smart for $36. then i took plexiglass that i had lying around from an old skylight or something. you can buy it for real cheap too. then get silicone, like 3-4 bucks. then just cut out the plexiglass, and tape it in position. then add the silicone. this way is so much easier, you can custom fit your equipment, and costs like 45-50 bucks.

Isn't Plexiglass just a brand of acrylic? Acrylic doesn't bond well with silicone to glass, it might hold but will eventually fail.

I've been planning this for a while and that's the general agreement.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Eheim 1260 for return pump. You can go higher to 1262 if you're manifolding your return line to feed reactors. Been running 1 for 6 years and another for 4 years, no problems whatsoever. Just need to clean the intake grill every so often.

Pax-Bellum LLC

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you rough up the edges of the plexiglass that you are going to adhere to the glass, the silicone will get a better "bite" on the plexiglass. I recommend roughing it with a low grit wet/dry sand paper. You want to see clear defined scratches on the plexiglass. Rough it anywhere the silicone will be touching the plexiglass. Before using the silicone to adhere the plex to the glass, use denatured alcohol to prep both surfaces. Don't worry, once the alcohol dries it is non-toxic.

Last edited:

TommyP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I have a 75 as well. I use a mag 9.5 dialed back for my return pump. It's not drilled so I have an eshopps ph800 for my overflow box. I have a 20long custom made sump I found on here. I have a reef octopus nwb110 I got here too for my skimmer. I also have a jaebo wp25 for my circulation. Hover over the marketplace. It's my favorite.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: