Seacilian77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ich on my fish. They are all in quarantine being treated with Coppersafe.

My questions is this, the quarantine is a 29G biocube with ceramic ring filtration system in the built in sump. Can I leave them in or do they need to be removed?

I know you can't have carbon but this is my first time dealing with these rings. I tried to research it myself but to no avail.

Thank you all for taking the time to read.

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Keep them in. I remember reading that the ceramic rings may absorb the copper medication and throw off the dosage. I used copper in my QT with the ceramic rings in an AC 500 filter and did not experice any noticeable fluctuation in the dosage.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
ceramic like sand will suck in copper medication. This is why when treating for copper you should try and remove any such materials from the tank. If you choose to keep it in the tank, you should test your copper levels to manage for this loss.

Seacilian77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking into the ceramic rings a little more I think they would absorb the copper throwing off the dosage of med's.

I am going to experiment for the next two weeks and test the water with and without the rings to see just how much they filter from the water.

What should I use as a substitute to filter the tank?

Should I set up a protein skimmer?

I'll be doing 20% water change weekly

Thank you all for the responses.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
You don't usually cycle a qt tank. Most recommendations have you move a seeded sponge from main tank to provide some bacteria. Get an ammonia badge and you may have to do smaller more frequent WC during the process.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: