JP57

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, first I'd like to introduce myself to the group, my name is Jonathan, and I am brand new to all of this. I bought a 120 Gallon tank online. I am looking to make this work with the help of all of you.... I will try to be good about taking pictures as I build it.

I just put the water in, and I am in the process of adding the salt to it.

My question is, when should I add the sand/crushed coral? Which would you guys recommend?

Also, I have this running in the tank..Hydor Koralia Evolution 750/850 Aquarium Circulation Pump 750-850 GPH, is that enough or should I get another one?

Jonathan

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Welcome to MR :)

Crushed coral isn't usually advised as a substrate in a reef tank as too much detritus tends to collect in it. Most of us use sand. What type do you have?
Is there live rock in the tank? The rock (at least the bottom level) should be added prior to the sand as rock should never sit on top of the sand-bed as that leads to structure collapse :(
When adding sand to a tank with water in it, best to use a long (new & cleaned) funnel so you get the sand to the bottom without creating a sand storm. Also best to rinse the sand before use so you don't have all of the 'dust' circulating around in the tank. (do turn off the pumps before adding the sand!)

When first setting up the tank, it's ok to mix the salt in the tank (IF there is no live rock in there yet), but after this time, that is a major no - no! We mix our salt water in a separate container (typically a Brute garbage can) and add it to the tank.
What salt mix are you using?

In a 120 you would want at least 2 of those Evoluting pumps on opposite ends of the tank.

What are your plans for the tank..mixed reef, softies or SPS only?
What type of lighting do you have?
Do you have a skimmer yet & will the tank have a sump?

Last edited:

JP57

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kathy, thank you for the response. I will get myself another pump ASAP.

As of right now, I do not have anything in the tank. I have no lighting (need help) nor have I bought the sump.

I plan on making this a coral tank, so does that change your mind about the sand or crushed coral? and when to add it?

JP57

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Hi Kathy, thank you for the response. I will get myself another pump ASAP.

As of right now, I do not have anything in the tank. I have no lighting (need help) nor have I bought the sump.

I plan on making this a coral tank, so does that change your mind about the sand or crushed coral? and when to add it?

JP57

What changes my mind about the tank is that you shouldn't fill it with anything..sand, rocks, water until the sump is purchased and hooked up!

Is this a 120 AGA tank? Did you also get the stand to match? The sump needs to be installed before the tank goes on the stand :(
..and it should all be leveled before adding anything..

..and you still don't want crushed coral in there imo

JP57

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well I have a bit of a problem then, the water is already in. Yes I do have the stand, and everything is level. I guess I will have to do my best to install the sump. Any recommendations for one? Should I buy new, if so is this ok? "pro flex modular sump filtration??

or should I try to pick one up on this site?

( I do appreciate your help)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Ok, well I have a bit of a problem then, the water is already in. Yes I do have the stand, and everything is level. I guess I will have to do my best to install the sump. Any recommendations for one? Should I buy new, if so is this ok? "pro flex modular sump filtration??

or should I try to pick one up on this site?

( I do appreciate your help)

We're all here to help :)

New or used is fine..the issue is HOW it is installed. You won't get a decent sized sump through the doors in the front due to the brace.

Is the tank the AGA with the duel overflows on the back wall?

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I do not know what this all means.
My stand is metal and open, Unless the sump is too tall, I should not have a problem housing it.

Welcome JP,

What Kathy is asking is if the Tank is already pre drilled with the overflows in the back. For the Sump, CustomKing, from BK, can build you something nice and lasting. or you can always look for it online. If its already filled, im going to guess its not drilled. if its not drilled, what have you thought about for Filtration? If it is drilled, where is all the water going? As for lights, whats your budget? I,m personally getting some Chines LEDs to go over my 29g Nano. You can get MH but those will run you electrical through the roof. Alot of people here swear by T5's so the call is yours. Whats your dimensions and what do you want to keep in the tank? that way we can all collectively help your build

Last edited:

JP57

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank you as well for your input....

OK here is what i have...

1- 120 Gallon tank (filled) on a metal stand. 72"X18"X21". I'm in the process of adding the salt

it is NOT drilled Obviously, LOL. I was thinking of using PVC piping on of the sides to enable the use of a pump that would be placed underneath the tank.

I planned on making it a Coral/ fish tank.

Light wise, I have not yet researched anything yet, but I do understand if you by cheap, it will cost in the long run.

Hope more help is on the way...

duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
welcome to the hobby , and welcome to MR

72x18x21
looks like you have a 125G tank
does it looks like this ?
img0943o.jpg

JP57

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get this one (250w)

also can you please post a picture of your tank.?

sounds very scary that your tank doesn't have those frames on top[/QUOTE]

I joined while at work today (damn this is addicting ) I will take some pics later on and post...

JP

Last edited:

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Hello and welcome to MR. Fun bunch here. I'm relatively new here as well. Been here about 6 months and learned a lot from reading the forums.
If your tank is not drilled or have an overflow, then you might want to consider drilling or adding an overflow box to drain to a sump.

+1 on a CustomKing sump. The advantage is that you can make the sump to your specs. Include multiple chambers for filter socks, a refugium area, and skimmer area. Provided that you have the space, you can also incorporate a section to serve as a reservoir for automatic water top - off when your water level drops.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Welcome! If you haven't added salt yet then don't worry about the water you've added. Now is the time to do things right. Even if you did add salt its a minor expense than having to do a major transfer later.

Those corner things are overflows. Its how the water gets to your sump. This part takes a little research and understanding. If you can drill the tank and install an overflow now it would be best. An external overflow can work but is also tricky to manage and deal with power outages.

Before you decide which way your going to go to connect to your sump you should understand why you are going that way. Feel free to ask questions...plumbing can be tricky the first time until you see it running.

Good luck however you proceed and cant wait to see the build!

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
+1 about tricky plumbing. I had my whole setup planned out from the get go but when i got on here i went a totally different way. I was gonna use an over flow but instead went with the drilled tank. I was gonna go with a FOWLR setup and decided to go reef. I was gonna go T5 to light the tank but now im going LED.

Find out if the glass is tempered, if it is, dont drill, please please please dont drill

those bars across the top are used to keep the tank from bowing and exploding. if it doesnt have the plastic braces, how thick is the glass or is it euro braced.

lots of time to make changes. onces shes filled and ready to go, your gonna be stuck

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
JP

Welcome to the Forum. You are in the right place to begin your journey to building a mixed reef tank (fish/coral). While it is tempting to get everything in place right away you should take some time to research what is involved in order to properly setup a system. This will save you a ton of $ and frustration in the long run. Did you use RODI water to fill the tank? RODI water is essential to having good water quality. You will defiantly want to setup a sump refugium on this tank. While you can use a HOB (hang on back) overflow you would need more than 1 IMO, and you would be better off to drill the tank and build an overflow into it now. There is plenty of info on this forum on how to setup a tank and we are all here to help. Take your time and do your research before jumping head first. The 1st thing you need in this hobby is patience. Buying items on the marketplace here can offer a great savings keep an eye our for items you need like a skimmer, lights, sump ect. Let me know when you have your filtration up and running i have some live rock you can have free.

Happy Reefing!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: