nycfishy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm starting my RSM130D back up after having had it down for last 9 months due to a major house renovation.

I've got BRS dry rock and threw in a small piece of shrimp along with some bottled bacteria from two little fishes (forget the product name now) to get the tank cycled. Ammonia is quickly rising so know cycle has started.

My question is should I get some live rock to put into the tank to help create a more diverse bacteria population. Also how do I get things like copepods, microstars and various other really small but desirable organisms into the tank?

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
well it depends how you want to run your tank.. My first build I got live rock from another member that was leaving the hobby and it ended up a nightmare with bad things in it.. My newest build I'm using dry rock and making sure of things I put in.

nycfishy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I like the idea of running a "clean" tank as it will be less work and less risk but at the same time would be nice to get some diversity going. My first time with the tank I had a few minor problems with a couple of pests some algae outbreaks so it was a fun challenge dealing with them. Having said that had I had major issues or a tank crash I probably would not feel the same way about introducing all sorts of unknowns into the tank.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
thinks will develope and grow. my tank was started with bleached rock and dead sand. i did use special blend and nite out 2 to start tank, but i have used their stuff also even after tank was running for maintanance

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: