jeffgreg

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
hi all
just having some cycling issues
this is a second tank 90g

we have a 125g and is doing super for a while now but having weird parameters with the 90g please help

pH 8.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 1.5
Nitrates 35
Phosphates 3.5

tank has live rock, 3 domino damsels and 3 stripped banded damsels
whats up ?
thanx

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all
just having some cycling issues
this is a second tank 90g

we have a 125g and is doing super for a while now but having weird parameters with the 90g please help

pH 8.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 1.5
Nitrates 35
Phosphates 3.5

tank has live rock, 3 domino damsels and 3 stripped banded damsels
whats up ?
thanx

When did you set up the 90 gal? How many pounds of live rock? Are these water chemistry parameters trending up or down?

I suppose you should confirm that your test kit results reflect the actual conditions in the aquarium. The high nitrates and phosphorus might reflect something on the live rock is decomposing. The presence of nitrite might be expected if the rank cycling is still a work in progress.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm a bit confused. Are you still cycling? If so, the numbers are not too surprising. If you are done, you need to do some water changes.
BTW, I'm sure someone will chime in here, but cycling with damsels is very old school and generally frowned upon.

jeffgreg

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
the 90- gal has been cycling for 9 days now
we have a 125 g tank that we used about 30% of that water for cycling not only that, we used some of the live rock and also the dirty sump sock to help =))
so weird that the ammonia is perfect but everything else isnt
the numbers are trending up slightly
=(

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
My take would be the rocks from the 125 are loaded with phosphates and nitrates. So that accounts for those figures.
The nitrite number is rising because there is enough bacteria in those rocks to reduce the ammonia (being produced by the fish..that really shouldn't be in there yet..imo) which then increases the nitrites.

The addition of water from the 125 wasn't necessary as water contains precious little bacteria. I would start with a water change and aggressively look to lower the phosphates through the use of frequently changes of GFO.

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I haven't cycled a tank in a while, but isn't that what you want? Ammonia peaks and as it drops, nitrites riseand then drop, and nitrates lag behind and, unless you have a really advanced setup, nitrates are only reduced by exporting via macroalgae or water changes.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Save yourself a lot of grief and read about cycling so you will know what you are supposed to be doing. Based on the above I wouldn't bet on your other tank either.
9 days and you expect what? I would expect dead fish.
But Kathy has patience so listen to her.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: