StillBronx

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, new guy to the hobby but I just dove right in. I bought a 200 gallon cube style tank (48x36x27 i believe are the measurements)over in Maximum Reef in Yonkers. I am born and raised in The Bronx and always lived in walk up apartments so aside from some gold fish and maybe a beta I've never really owned a tank. But I am now a home owner living in upper Westchester, I have a finished basement that is kind of just extra living space so I opted to just kinda make it a little lounge area. A place for the fellas to chill at gatherings while the wives and my family are in the living and dining room on the main level. After buying the big 75" led and home theater and setting up the Xbox one in the main living room, I decided I didn't want TV downstairs, I wanted to make it more interesting. I got a couple of restored arcade games, installed some custom color change led lighting, put up some of the art I've collected over the years, nice black leather sofas, and then it hit me, the ultimate way to finish the space off would be a reef tank.I did some shopping around and chose Maximum. I bought most of the equipment thru them as since I was paying cash they gave discounts on just about everything.
Now that the history is there lol here is what I have and whats coming:
-In House
Black wood Stand(not sure of manufacturer)
Eshopps s-300 Skimmer
Ecotech Marine MP60w ES pump
Radion XR30w x 4 (3rd generation led lighting)
2 heaters 400 watt rated for 125 gallons
Magnetic drive sump pump
Pondmaster submersable uv clarifier
PhosBan and Phosphate reactors (I have a question about these in a second)

-Being delivered today or tomorrow
Tank (200 gallon deep dimension star fire glass)
Black wood canopy
PVC plumbing
Custom made plexi glass Sump
RO system (not 100% on how this works)
(I also ordered 200 pounds of live rock and pink sand, not sure when they will be bringing that)

-Arriving soon via mail
Neptune Apex controler (gold package) (I also have questions here)
Some maintenance equipment, a syphon, a feeder, specimen containers, going to go to home depot later for some buckets and water containers

For those still with me, Is there anything you guys see thats missing to get this puppy started? What other maintenance equipment should I have on hand? Do I invest in test kits? oOr rely on the Apex controller?

Now as I stated I have a few general questions/concerns as I'm sure any new guy would. Iced the PhosBan and Phosphate reactors before deceiving to buy theApex controller. Do I still need them? (are these units what the apex controller controls or is it something different)? And I have a mild understanding of what the RO system is, its a water purifier I believe. But I'm not clear on what the guy means when he says he's going to "build the RO system" in my house? Where does this hook up? Should I be looking to have a plumber install this or the aquarium guys? Also I've heard of RO and RO/DI. Are these different? How? Which is better for what?

Obviously I have a ton of other questions but I think I've asked enough for the moment lol. I paid the guys at Maximum for the installation and initial setup. I will be over their shoulder asking questions and trying to absorb what I can, they have been very helpful so far. I will be having them come for periodic maintenance in the beginning too, just to keep everything up to snuff and teach me what they can. Thanks in advance for any responses, looking forward to participating.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
You have a fellow reefer in Jim up there. Great guy. Beautiful tank. You also have the old young reef gangsta albano near you. Also another awesome guy with a beautiful tank. Welcome

StillBronx

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attempt at adding pictures
DSC_0359_zpsf10ef54f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm at the other end of rte 202 in Yorktown. Those max reef dudes know there stuff, Ive only got 2 years in this hobby and what I've learned most so far is patience is key, never ever use anything that was treated with copper (I've got a 120 on hold because of this) and I didn't see you list a test kit for for your tank or refractometer for salinity. Water evaporates salt stays.

StillBronx

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sun, I worked in Carlos ( the pizza shop that shares the parking lot with max on tuckahoe) last year, i know that area pretty well. The guy I felt with in Max said theres sometimes a gathering of guys there on saturdays when they get shipments.

Bioman, my ex wife and daughter live a little past you in mahopac. The little bit I have gotten familiar with is the shopping between here and there on 202 and 6 (that home depot has seen a grip out of me already).
I've also been told patience is key, and I'm fine with that. I've read posts by some new guys on here that really seem all too eager. I don't plan to have any livestock for a couple of months if need be.
I do not have test kits, in the post I asked if I should invest in them or rely on the apex controller for readings? anyone? And I'm not sure if we addressed a refractometer I will bring it up when the delivery guys come tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies guys.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
get the redsea reef complete test kit, cal, alk and mag then get the amonia, and nitrate kit, easiest kit to use and dead on, also buy a refractometer. your really close to me so if you need any help feel free to ask

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Welcome!

First, welcome to the hobby and welcome to the forum! It looks like you did not spare any expense and you got some of the best equipments in the hobby. Having good, reliable equipment is definitely the best way to start. That and having a lot of patience.

What other maintenance equipment should I have on hand? Do I invest in test kits? oOr rely on the Apex controller?

The APEX is a great device for monitoring and control. However, it does not replace the need for good old fashion test kits. In fact, the Apex doesn't really test that much. You will absolutely need test kits to test or double check parameters. At the very least you will need to check pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite when the tank is being cycled. You will also want to check Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium afterwards. I recommend the RedSea kit for these tests. Don't bother to get API products.

Iced the PhosBan and Phosphate reactors before deceiving to buy theApex controller. Do I still need them?
You will need the reactors to run Carbon or Phosphate. The Apex does nothing that would allow you to control these other that turn the device pumps on/off (if running separate pumps to each reactor). At the very basic level, Carbon removes unwanted chemicals and will also provide you with crystal clear water! Phosphate reactor can run GFO which will help to export nutrients and keep algae growth under control. In short, you don't need them to start the tank, but I think you will need them after the cycle period when you start to see all sort of diatoms and algae blooming. Its also a good idea to plumb them in from the start. You can plumb them into your return-line with a manifold.

And I have a mild understanding of what the RO system is, its a water purifier I believe. But I'm not clear on what the guy means when he says he's going to "build the RO system" in my house? Where does this hook up? Should I be looking to have a plumber install this or the aquarium guys? Also I've heard of RO and RO/DI. Are these different? How? Which is better for what?

RO/DI is for Reverse Osmosis/Deionization System. The RO refers to a part of the first stages and the DI refers to the last stage(s). You need the full RO/DI unit. The system can be hooked up to a kitchen faucet, however, if you are looking for a more permanent hook-up, then you can plumb it into your water line. I don't think you need a plumber. The typical system will have a sediment block, carbon block, RO membrane, and the DI Resin in the last stage. The DI stage reduce the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) coming out of the RO membrane to zero. You want zero TDS. If you are building your own system, you can double up on some of the stages, including the RO membrane and the DI stage. This will ensure that you have less waste water, produce more RODI water, membranes will last longer, and of course, zero TDS. What to look for here? You will need a flush kit inline for each membrane, a digital TDS in-line meter to measure TDS in and out, and lastly, to make this all work efficiently, you might need a booster pump to get the input water at the right PSI level.

Is there anything you guys see thats missing to get this puppy started?
The MP60 is a beast, but if you want to get a second one they can be linked up wirelessly and work in sync/anti-sync mode to create waves in the tank.
The Apex Gold package is nice, but it doesn't come with the WXM module. This module is really COOL! It allows you to control your MP60 and Radions (Beta-testing in-progress). I think the WXM is a must. Otherwise your Vortech will run in the same mode all the time, unless you press a button to change the mode. This is not a bad thing, but with the WXM you can program the Apex to control the Vortechs to run reef-crest, custom waves, and nutrient export (after feeding), all within the same day! And if you get more Vortechs it will control them as well.
Since you have so many equipments you might need to get a second EB8 for the Apex and since you have a PM2 module, you might want to get a second Temperature probe. You can measure temp in DT versus Sump and use readings to better stabilize temp with the 2 heaters. Also, the second temp probe on the PM2 will give you more accurate salinity readings.
Someone mentioned a good refractometer, this is a must as well. If money is not an issue, then I recommend the Milwaukee digital seawater refractometer.
Also, an auto-top-off (ATO) is a must. You can have a DIY one with float switches and controls with the Apex (you will need the break-out-box Apex Module), or you can get a stand alone one like the Tunze Osmolator. You will need a spare tank/container for top off due to evaporation. With a system of this size, you can expect 15-20 gallon of evaporation a week. That will wreck havoc on your salinity level!
And maybe a separate container or tank for making/mixing RO/DI water and new water for water changes (typically 20% monthly).
If you are still reading, then you will have lots of fun with this hobby.:fish:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: