mskvarenina

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My FO tank is up just 3 weeks now. It's cycled and I'm starting to get a little nitrate. I wanted to get my refigium started today so I picked up some chaetomorpha from my LFS but it came with what I think is a hitchhiker algae.

The other algae is very vinelike and has some bubbles as shown in the photos below.

Can you identify this please? And is it safe to leave in?

Attachments

• photo 1_resize.jpg
    photo 1_resize.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 175
  • photo 2_resize.jpg
    photo 2_resize.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 166

mskvarenina

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, I thought Caulerpa was bad because it can go sexual and destroy the display?

Actually it looks very cool and before the Miracle Mud spoiled it with dust it looked even nicer. I'm guessing after a few days when the mud dust clears up it will look even better.

So your recommendation would be to leave it in there for now but keep an eye on it? For now I'm leaving the light on 24/7 but I may switch this to alternate with the display once the algae starts growing wild. The refug is 29 x 6 so there's alot of growing to happen before this little ball fills this big space up!

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's bad when it's growing out of control. One strand that doesn't look like it's surviving won't cause any harm. It's no difference than other maintenance, keep it in check.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: