thezar77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys new guy here. I have a 75 gallon FOWLR that I am almost done setting up. I have an RODI on the way do I still need to treat the water with other additives for phosphates and stuff? Also thinking of getting a couple shaving brush plants. Good idea?. I am gonna stock with live rock and live sand to cycle gota sump with a bio media forgot the name. Thanks guys

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Hey guys new guy here. I have a 75 gallon FOWLR that I am almost done setting up. I have an RODI on the way do I still need to treat the water with other additives for phosphates and stuff? Also thinking of getting a couple shaving brush plants. Good idea?. I am gonna stock with live rock and live sand to cycle gota sump with a bio media forgot the name. Thanks guys

If you're using an RODI, your TDS should be at 0 and shouldn't need treatment. Phosphate would be found in the tank as a result of waste, uneaten food, insufficient skimming, too much light, etc. If you start having algae problems, then I would look into alternative ways of treating your phosphate levels: better maintenance or dosing (gfo, vodka or other additives)

How much live rock are you putting in? If you have about 1 lb/gal and live sand, then you shouldn't need bio media in your sump. I think i have less than that ratio and haven't had any problems.

Shaving brush macro is a nice piece if you want to keep it a fowlr tank. Look into dragon's breath as well; my favorite macroalgae

thezar77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using an RODI, your TDS should be at 0 and shouldn't need treatment. Phosphate would be found in the tank as a result of waste, uneaten food, insufficient skimming, too much light, etc. If you start having algae problems, then I would look into alternative ways of treating your phosphate levels: better maintenance or dosing (gfo, vodka or other additives)

How much live rock are you putting in? If you have about 1 lb/gal and live sand, then you shouldn't need bio media in your sump. I think i have less than that ratio and haven't had any problems.

Shaving brush macro is a nice piece if you want to keep it a fowlr tank. Look into dragon's breath as well; my favorite macroalgae

Thank you. What do you suggest to put in my sump then. I plan to have 75 to 80 lbs of rock in the tank

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
There's no right answer to this question, you'll get many different answers on here.

If you want to keep it simple: skimmer, heater and return pump is all you need in there. In this case your sump is adding volume to your tank to help stabilize parameters and hide equipment.

Others will place live rock in their sump to allow for more room in their display tank. Some choose a refugium for nutrient exports and cultivating pods. As you do more research on it and get more experience, you may choose to add other things: carbon, gfo, etc

good luck

thezar77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no right answer to this question, you'll get many different answers on here.

If you want to keep it simple: skimmer, heater and return pump is all you need in there. In this case your sump is adding volume to your tank to help stabilize parameters and hide equipment.

Others will place live rock in their sump to allow for more room in their display tank. Some choose a refugium for nutrient exports and cultivating pods. As you do more research on it and get more experience, you may choose to add other things: carbon, gfo, etc

good luck
thanks for the info. I can't wait to get some fish in there after the tank cycles.

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Live rock live sand and a little patience!!!

I think she's referring to how you started your nitrogen cycle. There needs to be a source of ammonia in the tank for the cycle to begin. This may be accomplished from die off from your live rock but that's not always the case. Have you tested ammonia levels to be above 0? If they haven't tested positive, you need to add a source such as raw shrimp until the decay results in an ammonia spike then the cycle begins.

thezar77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually mixing RODI water now. I am picking up live rock tomorrow from a MR member. Put I am putting 100 lbs of live rock and 150lbs of live sand. I'm not using fish to cycle.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: