BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I hit the on switch last thursday(5 days) and tested my water last night for phosphates, nitrates and ammonia and had zero everything. I used roughly 120lbs brand new caribsea live sand, 100+/- lbs live rock i've had in a tub of saltwater and heater and powerhead for the last month (100% water change twice), and to fill the tank and sump it took roughly 150 gallons of new saltwater.
My ultimate question is what next, do I put the raw shrimp in there now and let it rot at the bottom for a few weeks? I should be seeing some type of algae by now right? my skimmer is off and the closest thing to filtration I have is before the return pump (Mag 12) I have a sponge and filter floss at the last baffle.

BuGG

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Yes, put the raw shrimp now and test again in a week or two. If you can borrow or get a small live rock from someone, you can toss that in the tank too. The bacteria from the rock should feed off the shrimp. I put half a shrimp on my display and the other half in the fuge when I started to cycle.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Thank you BuGG! I was actually wondering if I could put the shrimp in the sump I have an area I'd like to use as a refugium. Also about the shrimp am I tossing it in there then the CUC removes it or am I to remove it?

BuGG

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Once the tank cycles (0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, some nitrates) you can remove the shrimp if you still have some left. But you're right, the CUC might end up eating what's left. I heard some people put it in a mesh bag for easier cleanup. I just left the shrimp there and didn't bother to look for it after my tank cycled.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: