cmalandro

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys my tanks been cycling for about 5 weeks now and i noticed that my tank has green algae and hair algae on my rocks. is this part of the cycle? is it normal for something like this to happen? will the algae eventually disappear?

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it's normal, get a clean up crew also some hermits n snails etc..

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 5 weeks u should be cycles pretty much u can SLOWLY start stocking w a fish n coral just be certain ur cycles try pure ammonia, put a lil bit and within 24 hrs or less u should have 0 readings on ammonia and nitrite and 0 or low nitrates

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
aren't you not supposed to do a water change when the tanks cycling? won't it disturb the cycle?

Sorry I misread your first post. I thought you had completed the cycle since it's been 5 weeks. As far as water changes during a cycle: some do, some don't. You can find plenty of arguments supporting either of the two. I didn't when I cycled mine.

How far along in the nitrogen cycle are you? Do try to siphon out as much algae as you can and wait until the cycle is complete before adding the cleanup crew.

cmalandro

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently added a percula clown about a week ago caz their pretty hardy fish he's doing great and yesterday i added a cheap star polyp that i got for 20 bucks which seems to be doing fine as well its opening up real nice. btw would u recommend i do a water change today?

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u got a fish In there u can start doing weekly 10% WC. Don't worry bout the algae it'll go away just get a clean up crew and maybe cyphon SMALL portions of your sand each WC. Maybe invest in a PHOS reactor to avoid Phosphate build up from feeding etc..

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
im 5 weeks into the cycle. i tested for nitrate a few days ago and it read 0. I'm confused about that caz doesn't algae usually form with high levels of nitrate?

If you've tested ammonia/nitrite/nitrate to be 0 then you're done cycling. Both nitrate and phosphate lead to algae. When you test for nitrate, you're testing the parameters of the water column. The algae means that you have excess nutrients and that they are bound in the algae which is why they are not showing up when you test....so remove as much algae as you can.

What test kits are you using? Are you using RODI water?

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in a RO/DI unit that shoul be your #1 priority. API test kits r fine for ammonia nitrite nitrate, for phos cal mag alk I would get a better brand test kit, Hannah checker if you can afford is best.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U gonna need them. I always forget to test magnesium and alk and it's usually low when I do. Same for calcium but calcium is more of an issue when u start having corals that use it up. Alk is also important mine was dangerously low for months untill I decided to finally test it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: