chefsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to war on my dinoflagellates problem. 3 days over dark, took out all rock and scrubbed them , diped them in fresh water, my phosphates are .00 to .04, ph 8 to 8.2, new gfo, new extra filter on the way, new wp40, geting rdy for a 50% water change. Should I add new nitrifying bacteria. I will do anther 4day black out . is there any thing that can eat it ( sea hare,snails,crabs, shrimp) .
ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 calcium 540 magnesium 1400 alkalinity 9.5

help please :frown:

Last edited:

timberwolfny

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
you should not have dip your rocks in fresh water you just killed all the beneficial bacteria. You just started a mini cycle. Skim wet, lower the photo period, do not do any water changes. I have had success using microlift special blend and korallen zucht zeobak and it naturally took care of my problem. But the key is no water changes just make sure you run carbon and keep it fresh to keep toxin release by the dino low

stazitto25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I am a week out from a 3 day blackout and so far no sign of them. Make sure you have your sump light off as well as I read some people fail to turn that off. My parameters are similiar to yours the only difference is I stopped running GFO some time ago as my SPS were pail and brown. I have been and will continue to run my lights for four hours until there are no signs of the dinos. Good Luck and hope it clears up for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Reefs

Manolo_AP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Sorry. Don't take out rocks. And don't dose hydrogen peroxide. It kills bacteria. It kills macro algae and it kills shrimp. Instead use fauna Marin ultra algae x. It's what I used after battling w Dino for 5 months.

I did the lights out for three days. I raised my PH. I raised my magnesium. I did zero water changes for a month. A skimmed wet. All of those things weakened the Dino. And the final blow was the ultra algae x. I promise you won't regret it

Manolo_AP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Also when using ultra algea x. It kills all of your macro algae so you have to take it out and throw it away. If you leave it in it will die and leach everything back into your tank.
If you take it out and save it during the dosing process when you put it back in it most likely will have Dino on it or the water you put it in will have Dino. So pretty much your only option is to toss it.

Manolo_AP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
emerald crab eats it

This is false. And if they do they will die.

I had my sand sifting goby die because of the Dino. Dino grows everywhere including the sand. So as the goby sifted through the and it are the Dino and was poisoned. It died in his hole under the rocks and I couldn't get to him so he dirtied up my water which fed the Dino. Dino also kills snails that inadvertently eat it Also dying and feeding the Dino with more nutrients in the water column. It's a very vicious cycle. You need to get on too of it ASAP.

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
On my new tank i battled dino I dosed hydrogen peroxide myself 1ml per every 10 gallons with lights out for 72 hrs, no feeding and I completely covered the glass. Just monitor your ph. You might have to do it a couple of times but worked for me. I haven't lost a fish, invert or coral. You can add special blend or any bacteria of your choice. Take my advice with caution though what worked for me might not work for you.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: