JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare 10 gallon and want to turn it into a little mangrove tanks. Proably just mangroves and possibly fiddler crabs.I have a Sunlight desklamp, would that that work?How much sand and live rock? And how could i hook it up to my 75 gallon reef tank without an overflow?

PS if anybody has anything similar than could you post pics?

Thanks

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Most folks who want to add mangroves (for the benefit of their DT) do so by adding a hang on refugium to the back of the tank, or keeping them in their sump. Without some sort of an overflow, there wouldn't be a way to hook the 2 tanks together short of drilling the 75G. Do you not have a sump?

Not sure what type of light a sunlight desk lamp is. You'd need to know the light temperature of the bulb(s) to make an informed decision.

JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most folks who want to add mangroves (for the benefit of their DT) do so by adding a hang on refugium to the back of the tank, or keeping them in their sump. Without some sort of an overflow, there wouldn't be a way to hook the 2 tanks together short of drilling the 75G. Do you not have a sump?

Not sure what type of light a sunlight desk lamp is. You'd need to know the light temperature of the bulb(s) to make an informed decision.

Well, the reason I want it is to reduce my nitrates which are at 5-10ppm but that is because of a hair algae problem. Could i replace my emporer 400 power filter with a hob refugium with some mangroves and microalgae?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Nitrates at 5-10ppm is not bad.
Take the wheels out of the Emperor filter to help reduce them further, but doubt it will help much as levels like you have would not cause hair algae.

The issue is either your phosphate are quite high possibly due to the rock coming from a tank that had high phosphate levels, or your current take is having issues and your parameters aren't spot on.

Do you have a skimmer on the tank?
How long has the tank been set up?
Is there space to add a HOB refugium, and still keep the emperor - if that is your only means of mechanical filtration?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: