Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered two of these microalgae?

Just wondering what light intensity they need for this type of plant?

Thank you

I have good Caulerpa growth in my sump with a Home Depot CFL spot light that is daylight rated, 5500 K, and output equivalent to a 100 watt bulb. It is about 6 inches from the surface of the water.

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the type of bulb you have sit on a bracket system? What I mean is did you have to install holes in your roof or something to suspend it, or do you have it hanging from one of the sides of your tank?

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my aquarium light that came with the hood won't be sufficient? It is a T8 Full spectrum 17 watt 24"

The distance between the light and plant will greatly influence how vigorously the Caulerpa will grow. With a pair of T8's and a shallow tank, say 12 inches deep, the Caulerpa will grow for you.

I have a pair of 36" T8's and 12" deep tank and Caulerpa can grow anywhere in the tank but seems more vigorous directly under the light. The Caulerpa growing under the spotlight in the sump looks like a stronger plant.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the type of bulb you have sit on a bracket system? What I mean is did you have to install holes in your roof or something to suspend it, or do you have it hanging from one of the sides of your tank?

I have the spot light in a lamp which has a clamp. I have clamped the light fixture to the underside of my stand so it shines into the center of my sump.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I see your new here and a word of advise for you regarding algae.
Do Not Put Calurpa In Your Main Tank or Refugium!!!!
this algae has toxins that will kill your corals and may even affect your fish negatively.
Stay with chaetomorpha and dragons breath algae.

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your new here and a word of advise for you regarding algae.
Do Not Put Calurpa In Your Main Tank or Refugium!!!!
this algae has toxins that will kill your corals and may even affect your fish negatively.
Stay with chaetomorpha and dragons breath algae.

If this is a concern, and since I'm going to assume a-lot of people who own aquariums have fish and or corals in their tank, shouldn't the dealers who sell these plants be legally obligated to state that to people buying plants meant for aquarium usage.

So now I have two plants coming to me, that I can't use?
I would have gotten either one of what your recommending instead, and I wouldn't have wasted money on the plants I'm getting.

It's kinda weird because the description the site has, kinda implies that the plant I bought will be ok in any type of aquarium?

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I can get in to detail but I wont. Search my thread on it and youll understand or just trust me. If your going fish only then not too much to worry about. Its the corals that will be out gunned and out competed by the calurpa toxins to gain control of territory in your tank even if its in a refugium. Your corals wont stand a chance. You can trade it for something if that ghelps any.

Jlavine

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
You have to do your own research. Why would a company tell you where to place the plant? That is your responsibility. You still need to do more research as you have wasted your money and almost ruined your tank.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
If you come to Brooklyn I'll set you up with more cheato than you can use for an enormous refugium. I'll even throw in a piece of dragons breath in there for ya but next time before you buy anything, just ask first. Thats what this site is for and youll definitely be directed in the right way. i would suggest some reading books like " The Reef Aquarium Volume 3" or "The Coral Aquarium 5 Volume set". These are the bibles for reef aquarists.
Enjoy Reefing

C

Cu455

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should do research on it before you throw it away. Some types of caulerpa are toxic and some aren't.

This is just my experience and opinion. I kept several types of caulerpa it my display and fuge. i have left the lights on for over a week several times and kept them off for over a week several times. Nothing bad ever happened. It does spread quick so I wouldn't put it in your display if you want coral. Unless you keep the macro in a portion of the tank and trim it so it doesn't interfere with your corals light.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QuP4XHuBSgk

Last edited by a moderator:

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Yeah I'm going to take your advice for now. I won't put it in.

I did get some dragons breath, and I just found out today that it shipped.

I plan on giving away the CP if someone wants it for free. However when it does come to my house I will check what type it is if it states that information.

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My caulerpa just arrived. I will do some research about what type it is to see if I can put it in my main display tank.

Yet I am pretty sure I am not going to put it in, as it could be possibly dangerous. If someone wants it for free let me know and I can arrange a spot here in NYC for you to pick it up from me.

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plants for free

I have these plants. I'm not going to use them because they could be possibly toxic. Someone here told me this, and I at least confirmed it somewhat from another online article I read.

If someone wants these plants for free, let me know and I will give them to you at the Times Square station on 42nd st.

No charge

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I keep three kind of Caulerpas in my refugium (two sprouted from my live rock, the third I got as a tiny piece on the back of a Mespilla globulus), I have never had any problems with the "toxins".

Remember that the stuff that was invasive in the Mediterranean sea (C. taxifolia) was actually toxic to the local species, but species coming from the place where these Caulerpas are common are actually immune to it...

As a side note, the species considered as dangerous are the feather-types (C. taxifolia being one of them), C. prolifera is not a problem. It is a cool algae and if you have a fox face they will love it as a snack.

The main issue with keeping Caulerpa in a refugium is that they can make their way to your main display, and then it is impossible to totally get rid of it in my experience (my fox face eats the sprouts, but they keep coming from deep inside the rocks)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: