OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I performed my weekly 3gal w/c (on 65gal), I already run an over sized skimmer, BSM 150 plus have a TLF phosphate reactor with BRS recommended dosage. I added 3 more table spoons of more carbon then recommended plus I dumped in maybe 4 tea spoons of DFS zeolite + carbon to finish it up.

the next day my plate corals receded A LOT, I know they have a tendency to revive, personally I have recovered a few plate corals from 0-100%.

Thinking MAYBE running all this carbon clarified the water column so much it's over exposing the corals I anticipated my zoas/blasto/elegance/hammer etc suffering but alas they did not, they are just as open as before the hammer is smaller than usual but that is normal after a w/c.

At this point I'm hoping on returning home to plates with some flesh on them, I just bought a rainbow plate and spent half my paycheck on it so you can appreciate my concern. It's not the money anymore it's about keeping alive the poor creature we yanked out of the ocean.

Can you run too much Activated Carbon? and if so what are the negative side effects?

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I performed my weekly 3gal w/c (on 65gal), I already run an over sized skimmer, BSM 150 plus have a TLF phosphate reactor with BRS recommended dosage. I added 3 more table spoons of more carbon then recommended plus I dumped in maybe 4 tea spoons of DFS zeolite + carbon to finish it up.

the next day my plate corals receded A LOT, I know they have a tendency to revive, personally I have recovered a few plate corals from 0-100%.

Thinking MAYBE running all this carbon clarified the water column so much it's over exposing the corals I anticipated my zoas/blasto/elegance/hammer etc suffering but alas they did not, they are just as open as before the hammer is smaller than usual but that is normal after a w/c.

At this point I'm hoping on returning home to plates with some flesh on them, I just bought a rainbow plate and spent half my paycheck on it so you can appreciate my concern. It's not the money anymore it's about keeping alive the poor creature we yanked out of the ocean.

Can you run too much Activated Carbon? and if so what are the negative side effects?

too much quantity or dosing too long carbon can do that.
same goes for dosing too much GFO
take it easy on the products. weekly or biweekly water changes should enough for your size system for now

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
how about taking it offline for a few days and then lower it

I run the carbon in a bag and place it so the water over flows thru it into the last portion of the of the sump, where the return pump is.

Last night I pulled the carbon out because I seen the plate's condition hadn't change so lets see what happens in a few days.

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Why the zeolite?
I don't think that's too much carbon. Maybe something else irritating your corals. Did you run any tests on the water?

DFS Makes a zeolite plus carbon filter media I bought many moons ago for use in my reef, which I used, but I didn't have enough to fill the bag and I was spun on to chemi-pure elite so that was that as they say.

The only thing I changed was the carbon and the plates receded something nasty, so I suspect this is the culprit. It has been 2 days since I pulled out the carbon mixture so I am expecting some tissue to return as plates often recover quickly in my experience keeping this animal. But I haven't seen my tank in since I discovered the issue (the perks of automation).

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I had the same problem when I ran GFO in one reactor and carbon in another..all my corals looked bad..since taking both of them offline 6 months ago and gone a more natural method my tank never looked so good

What types of coral do you keep?
Size of the system, lighting?
dosing anything or relying on WC and most important are you running a fuge?

I just bought the hog .5 algae scrubber from Santa Monica, I have been following this product for two years now. I waited till the priced dropped and the second gen model came out it looks like they covered a few weak point in product.

If all works well and I pull heft amounts of green then I won't have to run my phosphate reactor. Optimal situation is me running the rather large skimmer I have and the hog.

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
What types of coral do you keep?
Size of the system, lighting?
dosing anything or relying on WC and most important are you running a fuge?

I just bought the hog .5 algae scrubber from Santa Monica, I have been following this product for two years now. I waited till the priced dropped and the second gen model came out it looks like they covered a few weak point in product.

If all works well and I pull heft amounts of green then I won't have to run my phosphate reactor. Optimal situation is me running the rather large skimmer I have and the hog.

My 60 cube tank is 90%sps with a radion xr30 gen3 pro.as far as dosing I dose alk,calcium,special blend and amino acid.i run a refugium with mud.i do waterchanges every 2 weeks of 10% and feed my tank heavy with reef chili,coral frenzy,mysis shrimp and pellets.low nitrates,low phosphates.my refugium lighting is a 54 watt par 38 which gives me incredible growth for the macro algae.i only have 5 fish in there so my bio load isn't too high

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
My 60 cube tank is 90%sps with a radion xr30 gen3 pro.as far as dosing I dose alk,calcium,special blend and amino acid.i run a refugium with mud.i do waterchanges every 2 weeks of 10% and feed my tank heavy with reef chili,coral frenzy,mysis shrimp and pellets.low nitrates,low phosphates.my refugium lighting is a 54 watt par 38 which gives me incredible growth for the macro algae.i only have 5 fish in there so my bio load isn't too high

thanks !

I have a 65gal corner overflow, with sump. a BSM 150 skimmer, TLF phospahte reactor and DIY ATO(best working thing in this tank!)

I have two vortech MP10w at 60% lagoon(purple), I run 2 Ai Sol blues running 10,80,100 they ramp up and stay at this level for 6hrs lights on 9 hours total.

I feed a Rod's and pellets every other day ( switching between these two), enough til finished.

I have 5 small fish (I prefer to get fish with a min tank size below 30-40gal so 65gal is large) bought my CUC from Reefcleaners all snails. I also have a skunk shrimp and 4 peppermint plus I got a red emerald crab as a hitchhiker who is going soon due to him growing exponentially.

I am having varied results with LPS, some blastos open the others don't
my elegance is 100% opened but the plates aren't , they were until I added carbon which I discussed earlier in the initial post. Zoa's open 85-90% i'd like better polyp extension.

Essentially after all is said and done I really just want :

100% polyp extension
Clear water
no nuisance algae <- Just bought a algae scrubber to handle this.

any advice please !

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
zeolite cause tissue recession in reef tanks unless the flow is control but that is the zeovit method

Good to know!

After testing and having a lengthy chat with local members and my LFS it is my determination that my system is too young and still going thru it's various changes before the ecosystem is stabilized.

Furthermore, I have begun dosing Special Blend as I always have in the past, I just didn't want to buy more :grumpy:

and My Santa Monica HOG .5 is up and running, I will do a separate post following the journey on it in the next few days.:teeth:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: