Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I think u gonna find it tough to keep temp down on that small a tank with the mh but if ur ok with hanging it high enough above water with fan I think if I had the bio cube I'd retrofit the hood to fit a led so it keeps it's sleek look just opinion also I have mh and 2 radions on my tank and can't pick which I like but LEDs can fry sps if not careful

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
IMO. Get the current USA fixture. We were running it on our 34solana. Had a slight heatproblembut nothing a small fan didn't fix.

The phoenix hexarc 14k is a great bulb and awesome growth you'll get with amaIng color.

Also. Radions compair o MH ALLOT.

They can fry yur tank if not unedin correctly. Essp on a smaller tank. . IMO I would go my depending on whatbype of coral. I had LPs ZOA and sps under mh all did very good. Sat 8" above the water line.

SI-Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so i went with the Metal Halide 14K Phoenix bulb, looks great
i currently have it suspended 12 inches above the water

1. what is the recommended height for keeping the fixture above the water?
2. How long should i leave the light on?

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Polling a recommendation

I have a 29 gallon BIO cube with mixed LPS and SPS

is it better to use Metal Halide 14K Phoenix bulb
or
EcoTech Radion XR15w PRO

Definitely the halide is better. You will get better coverage and the corals will respond better. I absolutely hate LED as primary lighting.

SI-Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not concerned about temperature, i have theJ BJ Arctica Titanium Chiller running on my tank it works great really quite almost don't hear it

6 hours sounds like a good starting point

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I just saw that too late... but I actually went from a 150W MH (electronic ballast, and Radium bulb) supplemented by 2 Reefbrite strips to the Radion 15wpro and I must say I love it.

The tank looks exactly the same with the setting I use (at 55%, with blues and purple at maximum, other colors a bit less, so I get a very white tank, but with pop).

Growth wise, more or less what I had before, maybe a tiny bit less due to the decrease in temperature from 81 to 79...

The good things? It is using half of the electricity, and my chiller which used to be on 4-5 times a day is now kicking only when the steam pipe radiator decides to turn the place in a sauna.
The bad things? Well the minor reduction in SPS growth I guess... but I do not really care about that since I am not going to open an aquaculture business anytime soon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: