oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to gravel vac my saltwater aquarium for some general maintenance the other day. I felt that the ones I have aren't really doing a good job, based on the videos I've seen from others using these devices.

I have a basic one and a battery operated one. They both in my opinion basically suck (and not in the good way).

I don't want to spend much more money on another gravel vac, but I feel I do need one that just is capable of pulling the loose detrius I continue to see develop in my sand bed (especially one side of it).

Or should I just leave the sandbed completely alone. Let me be clear, when I gravel vac the sand-bed, I use the vac just above the sand-bed not literally on the sand.

I heard that you have to occasionally clean the sand-bed, to remove access food particles and things like poop that my fish and invertebrates are doing so on a general schedule.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Leave your sand bed alone.
Depending on type of fish you have . gets yourself a clean up crew, snails hermits, sandsiftingstar. Don't gge if you have harliquin shrimp they will attack them, what type of tank do you have.? Fish coral? Also size? How long has it been running.?

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
What dont you like about it? To powerful not powerful enough?

You can move your powerhead from your back glass to the side. Have it push water over your sand. This will keep everything suspended until you HOB filter picks it up. If there are pockets were things collect agitate the water above it so it gets kicked up then your filter will catch it.

Good sand shifters will help too.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: