M4gash

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I have red algae starting to grow on my live rock. Is it beneficial?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 164
Rating - 100%
36   0   1
Hard to tell, does it look flakey? Or is it hard encrusted on the rock, if so thay jusy might be coraline buddy wich is good. If its comes off or looks slimey thats the begining of a cyano outbreak, bad news might need to get more water movement and do a big water change possibly get chemi-clean.

M4gash

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Unfortunately, it's not coralline algae which I am unable to grow consistently if my life depended on it. The red algae comes off easily. With that said, it looks better than the rest of my rocks. Is there a danger in letting it grow.

Thanks for your help...much appreciated.

jvu61

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like cyano. look at your phos levels and nitrates there are also some snails and crabs that will help eat it as well as cooper band butterfly. big and often water changes are very helpful you may also want to make sure your rodi water is at zero

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
What wave maker/power head system u using.. I'm currently using a gyre and haven't got any cyno which I usualy do on sand bed and rock as u have but since u switch to wave makers and now the gyre I guess the water movement keeps them clean.. Try turning up your water movement or try new pumps

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: