OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Does anyone else use aquarium pharmaceuticals tap water filter?

I have been using this for tap water filtration the last four years with reasonable results , in a nano. I change it and follow it's instructions 30-50gals of work until new cart.

Now I have been documenting my trials and tribulations in my current system in this thread here -

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...49-can-you-run-too-much-activated-carbon.html

The thing is I have taken many steps to prevent nuisance algae :

testing out a new upflow algae scrubber (HOG .5)
Feeding less
all natural CUC designed to beat back the hun which they do.
super skimmer

I get my water tested by Kres, for those of you who know him. According to his findings my levels are stable even my phosphates are low.

I have narrowed the cause to 2 culprits :

Bad tap water filtration

or

The system need to age:grumpy:
-> my problem here is that I see mega systems on the internet the same age as my puny 65gal without a any of these issues, w/o a fuge like me

I will conquer this issue, if I cannot I will quit.

viplok

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
do u have a sandbed?

i use to have sand bed and algae just wont stop no matter what i do. went barebottom added more flow. the algae have no match

why not invest in a rodi unit? saw some nice deals in F/S section here.

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
do u have a sandbed?

i use to have sand bed and algae just wont stop no matter what i do. went barebottom added more flow. the algae have no match

why not invest in a rodi unit? saw some nice deals in F/S section here.

Interesting that you say that, I run a BB as well. Is the tap water filter not an RODI or is it just a RO or DI unit? Enlighten me:fishhit:

I also went out and bought a larger turkey baster and BLASTED the rock until It was clean lol

viplok

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Interesting that you say that, I run a BB as well. Is the tap water filter not an RODI or is it just a RO or DI unit? Enlighten me:fishhit:
i never used tap water filter. but it looks like there is Di resin in there. and some form of carbon block? it sure doesn't look like there is RO membrane in there. whats the TDS coming out of that filter? have u test for po4 in filter water?

tank sure takes a while to stabilize itself. keep up maintenance, maybe try some RODI from reefers around you

dont give up, these headache is what makes this hobby fun and enjoyable... most of the time.. maybe not :lol_large

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: