oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started cycling a 20 L gallon tank for a saltwater environment 3 months and 2 weeks ago.

For the last six weeks now I have had a red maroon juvenile clownfish living in this tank. It seems to be ok for now.

My question is, that I recently fed it (say the other day or so) some mysis shrimp, to try to get it to eat frozen foods. It prefers flake food, and someone at a fish store said I should try to not feed it many flake food products (despite the fact that the ingredients in my flake food; seem very nutrious, and the company promotes their product as one that enhances the color of fish, as well as their immune systems for a healthy long life.

Anyway I am digressing.

I didn't think the mysis shrimp was live? However today (while feeding it some prime reef flake food), as it ate almost nothing of the mysis shrimp two days or so ago, I noticed it started to chase what I can only describe as a little white or transparent, almost looked like a worm of some kind.

I did a double take, and wasn't sure if I was just noticing a piece of mysis shrimp that it hadn't eaten the other day, but then I saw another one that looked exactly the same on a piece of live rock?

Now recently I had a small hydrozoid problem, that I know came from a piece of live rock that I bought from Fauna, 86st west side of manhattan.

Anyway I was told when I brought this issue up with them, that yes they only sell cured live rock, and that even cured, there is never a guarantee that some unwanted hitchhikers won't stay inside the rock.

So I am thinking is it possible that this white, semi-tranparent worm-like thing is another unwanted hitchhiker?

Or

2. Is it possible that some of the mysis shrimp (frozen food) that I fed my fish earlier, was still alive?

I also noticed that a part of my sandbed seems a bit... dirty I guess?

I tried using a gravel vac on my sand-bed and I have two (one manual) the other one battery operated. Both seemed to do... buttkiss

I am wondering then should I just let my small cleaner crew (which totals 9 right now) in this tank to just eventually clean the sand-bed or should I use some other type of measure.

Lastly my cleaner crew consists of. 1 bumblebee snail; 3 nassarus snails; 2 turbo snails; 1 marigita snail; 2 hermit crabs.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The Mysis shrimp wasn't alive but there may have been some eggs in there that hatched when you place them in the tank, also you could have added some when you added some LR, corals, or even some micro algae. When you buy LR, whether it's cured or not there is a good chance that it will have hitchhikers, some show up right away, others can take a while before showing up.

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for replying first off.

Secondly, ok yeah maybe that is the case about the eggs. They might have finally come out of the live rock that I think they might have come out of, but yeah I guess if this is the case they took awhile to show up, as I have had the suspect piece in question for over a month if not more.

So my main question then based off the written description I provided, the two little white/transparent little worm like things, are probably baby mysis?

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for replying first off.

Secondly, ok yeah maybe that is the case about the eggs. They might have finally come out of the live rock that I think they might have come out of, but yeah I guess if this is the case they took awhile to show up, as I have had the suspect piece in question for over a month if not more.

So my main question then based off the written description I provided, the two little white/transparent little worm like things, are probably baby mysis?

jvu61

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking if the clown wants to eat it there is no problem. live fresh food is good and the fish will most likely eat all of them anyway

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: