Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

About a week and a half ago I noticed that one of my hammer corals was shriveled up. It looked as if the coral had released all the fluids within its flesh. The hammer then started to recede and I fear it is now clinging to life. About 4 days after this started to happen, my other hammers in the tank, as well as my frogspawn, started to close up. One hammer is showing the same characteristics as the other, and the others are just closed up. I called my LFS and they recommended reducing flow in the tank so i turned off the powerhead, but still no results after a few days. I brought a water test to my LFS and they told me this.

pH: 8.3
Nitrates: 3
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Kh: 7.7
Calcium: 500
Magnesium: 1340
Phosphates: 0.25

The phosphates were the only thing that stood out to them and me, so I added some Chemipure Elite to my filtration to reduce that. So far, the problem only seems to be getting worse. All my other corals in the tank are doing fine. Nothing has died recently. All help would be greatly appreciated!

jaywee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Is it brown jelly disease. Google that and see if that was how your hammer looked like. If it was Brown Jelly disease then it probably spread to the other hammer and frog spawn. You should have removed the first hammer that got it because this thing spreads fast. I had a torch that got it and I removed it in time so it didn't affect my wall hammer colony.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: