AmericanMade

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I wanted to know whats everyone opinion on a biopellet reactor in a fowler. I just started my 220 and i would like to keep my nitrate levels as low as possible. Just curious to see if some of you guys recommend it for a fish only tank

Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would really consider it. I have been running Ecobak pellets for a year now in a heavily stocked mixed reef. My nitrates and Phos always test 0. Bio pellets seem to be hit or miss. In my case it took at least 6 months before I saw any real improvement, but now I rarely run GFO and the water stays crystal clear. Others have tried it and given up for lack of any improvement. Good luck with the tank.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Fowlr setups are the quintessential definition for the need of a bio-pellet reactor because you don't skimp on stocking nor feeding vs a full reef tank.
I say this because I have been running a heavily stocked fowlr system for about 8 years now. Probably into the 3rd year of it's setup, Nitrates and Phosphates were pretty much out of control even with regular water changes, GFO and carbon use. No3 was over 200 ppm and Po4 was over 2.75 ppm. One time I tried doing 40g water changes 10 days straight on a 280g system and the levels would go down to less then half of the original readings but would creep right back to where they were in a short amount of time. 400g of new water did little difference so this meant that the live rock held in most of the nutrients and leaches it back into the water column. I tried a sulfur de-nitrator and tons of GFO without reaching any real success. Eventually I did gravitate to bio-pellets and while it took time and some agonizing process steps such as bacteria blooms, hazy glass film buildup, it did do the trick bringing my No3 down to acceptable levels. Po4 is just another story in itself. I've tried many brands of bio-pellets since I have been using it for so long and none have brought Po4 down even a notch, let alone the published Redfield Ratio. I am trying the recently released All In One bio-pellets that claim much higher Po4 removal and after 1500 ml of use, I did see a small slide in the Po4 so I will continue to use this brand in order to see if it really does what it claims. It's a terrible tumbler in the reactor vs Ecobak so just be forewarned.
So essentially what I am saying is why wait till your No3 levels become uncontrollable when you have the ability to curb it now. It took 8 months and 2500 mls of bio-pellets to bring my highly saturated system down from over 200 ppm to around 20 ppm.
Overkill, I do not think so, at least this is my personal opinion and experience in regards to large fowlr systems :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: