Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am new here and need some step-by-step help to plumb my 90 gallon aquarium and sump. I am using a 90 gallon Aqueon aquarium with 1 overflow box with a 30 long Aqueon tank which I will be converting to a sump with a refugium. I think I will be using a Reef Octopus NWB 150 skimmer but have not decided on a return pump yet, need suggestions on that as well. Also, would I need a filter sock for the tank water to drain into?

As you can tell I am new to having an aquarium with a sump but I do have a 28 gallon bow front with a HOB Reef Octopus skimmer.

I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank that size would use 700 to 1000th return pump. Some people say filter socks are bad and some love them. Socks are a great place foe nitrates to bread if not cleaned or changed frequently.

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
it will help as you go along to ask for specific help as the is SOOO much to advise you with and many is just matter of opinion. Great site for help though.

with that said. i had a 90 gallon and 30 long sump and i ran a filter sock on and off. personally i don't think there's right or wrong just ,style and functionality. filter socks can get dirty fast so if your not willing to clean and change them go without. i had rubble rock in my first chamber so i would run it without the sock and my skimmer off at times because my tank was a little too sterile at times. i wanted critters in the rubble and cheateo. i also had a sponge in between baffles on and off. filter socks caught A LOT of dirt. but easy wash.
all opinion:i would go three chambers with my sump.macro algae. hard plumb in(pvc) soft plumb the return. easier if you have to move it. be liberal with check/ball valves. and ...ugh...i forget the name of the joints you screw and unscrew... mental black out... someone will assist me.
i'm also building a 110 tank so you can check it out for inspiration or as a "what not to do" experience. lol .people can take it from here...good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: