oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried keeping the lights off for about a week to try to kill my cyano, but I became more and more concerned that I was killing algae in my tank which my cleaner crew eats, as well as the fact that I was worried that my fish would stay in it's little corner all day and night, without the aquarium light on.

So, I actually ended up getting a new light. I am currently using a Ultra Sun Super daylight from Zoo Med.

It states that besides covering the full spectrum of visible light, (which really is just the visible portion) of the electromagnetic spectrum, it also seems to cover UVA? Ultra violet ???

This light also promotes photosynthetic processes in plants and marine algae.

In terms of K this light produces 6500k.

With that said to try to restart algae for my cleaner crew, I started using this light for about eight to ten hours a day again, (after the week of no light).

Now I know some people here have said another issue causing my cyano is flow, but I am weary about lowering my powerhead deep enough into my tank that would alleviate the flow issue in the area where my cyano is growing, because even though the wire that provides electricity to my powerhead is insulated, I don't think it's a good idea for this wire to be that submerged into the water.

So I'm wondering about using a chemical product (I think called, red slime remover), that (even if it brings down oxygen levels into my tank should be a quick process?)

Yet this same remover could cause harm to my present biological filter?
Thanks

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cleaning crews will find their food, don't worry about that.
I used chemiclean two weeks ago.
Removed 95% of the cyano. Nothing happen to my fish, coral or invertebrates.
I don't worry about the little left over cyano for now.
Weekly changing water to reduce phosphate to find out if its the source of my cyano.

Jlavine

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Don't worry about your cleaning crew. Find out why you have the cyano. You need a saltwater light, more flow between those rocks (!!!!!!!!!!!) and better water parameters.

You are technically buying a grow light. Go buy the appropriate lighting from a LFS or member here on MR. Try a T5 or LED. I have even offered you my old 5 bulb T5 fixture.

Are you joking about the wire in the water! It is a submersible water pump and you need the flow. Aim the power head at the area or add another to hit the area and your problem will probably be solved.

As we should all be concerned about water + electricity, make sure you have a drip loop before the plug enters the outlet and the appropriate surge or outlet.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: