randysnyc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a 46 gallon saltwater tank this past week. Got a sump and skimmer added my live sand and store bought water and yesterday morning added my live rock. How long before I see the cycle begin? No visible algae I know I have to be patient but just wondering in general when I should start seeing results. Also when should I begin testing the water and which tests should I start with. I'm eager to add some anemones and clownfish and possibly a tang. Last question when should I add some snails and other cleaners (recommendations would be helpful) to the tank.

jvu61

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my 300 for 8 weeks before I added anything. but part of that was because I was away on vacation for 2 weeks and did not want to add anything until I got home. you should test for ammonia first. first it will spike then drop then nitrites will spike and drop then nitrates will spike and drop. that is the end of the cycle. how long it takes is usually a little different for each tank. most cycles take 4 to 6 weeks. I don't think I would add an anemone until the tank is a little more established maybe about 6 months or so. clean up crew should go in a little after the first fish maybe a week or two. This is all just MHO and I am sure some may disagree with me but this is how I did it and it worked out well for me. Some people will use a piece of table shrimp to get the cycle started others will use Dr. Tims. I just ran my tank empty for the 8 weeks. after about a week you should see some of the brown diatom algae start to grow often that will die and you will then see some other grow usually green. the green may last a while until the clean up crew arrives or the tang.

randysnyc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks how about power heads/wavemakers? My return pump seems to be pretty strong so I have some decent flow but wondering if I should add a pump on the other side of the tank and how many gallons per hour I should look for.

jvu61

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flow is always a good thing as long as it is not crazy strong to the point that it blows everything all over the place. I have on a 6 x 3 tank two mp60's one on each side and 2 mp 40's on the back walls. I would go with the 40's on your tank as they can be programmed for the amount of movement you like. maybe even just one on one side will do the job.

randysnyc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I'm in about $800 so far and was hoping the pump was an area I could get at a reasonable price. Ive seen so many pumps in the $40 to $60 range are they not good? When I put mp40 into google a bunch of $200 plus pumps came up.

jvu61

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that is a hard question. I have about $30,000 invested in my tank all in so far including livestock. So I understand you concerns about cost. I'm a firm believer in buying the best of everything so I only need to buy it once. I don't think it is fair to say the $40 or $60 pumps are not good as they may suit your needs but in my opinion in the end you get what you pay for. I should also mention I am very happy with my vortex pumps

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Great point.
I have a 40G. Now. & am in 3k. only 6 months old. Just a baby,
Being said, I bought the RW's (cheapest thing on this tank), hoping to get a year out of them and be happy...knowing.

(Was more of an experiment with flow in a cube).
Surprisingly they are quite nice though,

Options for the quality are used as well. Sketchy for me as I like warranties.

You do get what you pay for in this hobby and going too cheep will just be buying twice. I learned that on my first two builds.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: