randysnyc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46 gallon bow front that I just started my first saltwater tank. Live Rock. Live Sand store bought water, sump, skimmer. 4 days into my beginning cycle ran my first tests.

Ammonia is at 0
Nitrite is at 0.1 to 0.2
Nitrate is at 5 to 8
PH at 7.8 to 7.9

Now the last test I am confused with KH Alkalinity test. Added one drop of solution turned the water blue then it took another 5 drops to turn the water yellow. The card with my Red Sea testing kit says 5 drops is 5 DKH and Meq/L is 1.8. What does this mean and where do we want this level to be. The instructions tell you how to run the test but not what the results mean.

Any help is appreciated. Based on these tests. How far away from the end of my cycle do you think I am?

Thanks

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
How did you start your cycle? Four days seems pretty quick for ammonia to dissipate (not that it's impossible). Once you're reading 0 on ammonia and nitrite and your nitrate levels aren't off the charts, then you can consider the cycle complete. Alkalinity is not a measure of the nitrogen cycle being complete and isn't something you need to worry about too much until you start getting more into corals. I keep my alkalinity around 9 dKH but 7-11 dKH seems to be the acceptable range (everyone has their preference where they like their alk to be).

randysnyc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some live sand for 2 days then added live rock for 3-4 days. Ammonia never got to high but have no clue why it was so fast. 1 week into my setup and now i have added 2 Ocellaris Clowns and they have been happy for the last 3 days since I got them home. They are eating frozen Mysis. Next i'll be adding some Easy level coral and hope all is well. I havent done any water changes just added fresh water to top off. When do you think I should do that? Is there a sign in the tests I take that tell me when to change water?

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
If you're still getting positive Nitrite results and you have fish in there already, then I recommend you do a water change asap. Continue to monitor your ammonia/nitrite levels. These should be at 0 before you start adding livestock.

I apologize for being vague, but there's no "sign" that you need to do a water change. I'm going to go out on a limb and say most people here do a water change once every week or two; somewhere around 10-25% depending on frequency. You have to be the judge of your own system and deem when it is "necessary" to do a water change. I probably do it once a month and some people on MR go muchhhh longer than that. In the beginning, I'd keep water changes to once every week or two. High nitrate/phosphate levels or low Ca/Alk/Mg levels can be a way to decide when you need to do a water change based on your system's needs.

randysnyc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I def need a phospate test kit. The kit I bought tests everything but that for some reason. I knew I was taking a chance but my nitrates were down to 0 when I added them. I will test everyday for another week then do a 5 gallon change. It's been great starting this I am def into it bigtime.

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Phosphates are the least of your worries right now. I would keep a CLOSE eye on the nitrites. I wouldn't add anything else to the tank anytime soon. It needs to FULLY stabilize. Then you can slowly add fish/coral... One at a time.

richiero

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you add any fish so early into a cycle?? imo nothing should go into the tank for at least 5-6 weeks based off my research i did b4 i started my tank. in that time there in no need to run your skimmer. no need to rush ,nothing good in this hobby happens fast except when its bad things.

you should have had all these kits before starting your cycle. phosphate, nitrate and nitrite and ammonia kit i would u salifert test kits. and a digital handheld ph tester comes in handy.

Google cycling a marine tank and follow it step by step a lot of experienced people put that info together. Please tell me you have a sump and not a canister filter on you reef increase that water volume.

good luck hope it works out for you

randysnyc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i have a sump and skimmer and went by everything i read and i read alot. All my tests were at a perfect level after being high the first few days. I waited an extra few days before adding and every test was perfect other than a slightly low ph which i added a buffer for.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: