Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey Everyone,

My tank is currently described as FOWLRAA (Fish Only With Live Rock And Anemone lol)

150 Gallon 48x24x30 (LxWxH)

LiveStock:

Naso Tang (6 inches)
Blue Tang (6 inches)
Yellow Tang (3-4 inches)
2 Wrasse (wish I knew the names)
Maroon Clown/Rose Bubble Tip Anemone
5 Chromis (one inch)
Mandarin currently eating frozen mysid
Long Nose Hawk (3-4 inches may trade/sell)

Tank Specs:

Equipped with WP40 if you have a recommendation on what mode and where it should be placed in favor for a reef tank, I'm open to tips/advice
Temperature around 80 degrees, might be too high for a reef, I can decrease if necessary
Have probably around 150 pounds of rock will be getting more to try to go even higher with the rock work and add more spaces for corals.

Filtration Specs:

Custom sump:

(Left to Right) Filtersock, reef octo skimmer rated for 300 gallons, baffled filled with live rock, middle chamber contains k1 moving bed filter, baffle filled with live rock than 2900 gph return pump controlled by valve.

As for water changes, I usually do around 40-50 gallons every month of course in a reef set up would have to do more. With this tank I have only used regular treated tap water with prime.

Questions:

Is 80 degrees too high for a reef tank?
Has anyone mounted kessils inside of a wooden canopy?
What light fixtures beside metal halides can sit inside of a wooden canopy and be very good for a reef set up for diverse corals and possibly clams?
Is Ro/Di water really necessary? Does anyone have a reef with out the use RO/Di water?
Anybody know a cheap place to purchase RO/DI water or $4 for 5 gallons considered a good price?
If I switched to reef can I simply just switch to reef crystals and it will provide the elements necessary for the reef or constant dosage of chemicals is required? (I personally used to buy $500 worth of kent chemicals, but notice no growth with my corals with the 72 gallon)
Best recommended water change schedule for this size tank?
Any other Tips/ Suggestions appreciated

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i keep mine at 79 deg.
i think you will need another mp40, one on each side.
i would buy an ro/di unit, more convenient then buying water and caring it.
i always used io salt, switched to fc and didn't notice a difference so went back to io.
i dont dose any chemicals, just cal reactor, but maybe i should.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: