muwirosa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am very, very new to the hobby so please bare with me, some of my questions may make you wonder why did I even started this hobby, but as they say you never know unless you ask. I am currently in the process of setting up a 150 gallon reef tank and would like all my ducks in a row before I get too deep into things and have to start making changes beofre I even begin. A random quesion, is it worth buying a refugium start up kit or should I just set up the refugium in stages? Thanks for all your anticipated help it will be so greatly appreciated.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
you will have plenty to keep you busy setting up.
i would add the fuge later, when you have nutrients to support the fuge and need to be exported.
+1 on the kit. not a fan of kits either.

muwirosa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great input....I am going to wait on the refugium.... for now I am looking into the Trigger Systems 34 Sump and plan to put the fuge inside. I am also looking into protein skimmers (reef octopus regal, saw the NYOS Quantum in Germany last year that was really cool looking, and the bubble magus curve) haven't decided yet

Bulldog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
See a sump u like save a little cash and have costum king build it. U can even have him change things u want to add to it or change. He built me mine is the same thing as trigger elite 36. But to the specs I wanted

Last edited:

Reef Lobster

REEF LOBSTER LLC OWNER
Vendor
Rating - 87.5%
21   3   0
Dont add anything to the fuge part for awhile. If you already have a sump with fuge capabilities or are in the works of getting one id add miracle mud or a deep sand bed DAY 1 just for starters. Then id inch my way into growing macro algaes once theres sufficient nitrate build up from your livestock. Rushing a fuge can lead to horrific tank crashes from macro algae dying

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: